What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

tailcone fit for 9 or 7

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
Any suggestions for how to get the aft two bulkheads to fit into the tailcone skin? Obviously the tailcone skin needs to be bent in to fit the ribs but I don't want to kink the thick skin. (I've adjusted the bulkhead flanges already).

Also, on some people's pictures I see the tailgear weldment (that attaches to the bulkeads) powdercoated. Mine did not come powdercoated--is that unusual?

Thanks.

Flange angle

It's all about getting the flange angles aligned with the contour of the fuselage. They should not be perpendicular to the bulkhead web. Not sure if that's the issue in your case, but that's what it was in my case that made it difficult initially to get F-711 and F-712 to sit down fully. Tweaked the flanges, and they went in a little more easily.

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D
http://www.rvproject.com

Powder coating

I'd definitely give Vans a call about your tailgear weldment not being powder coated. I'm building a -7A but everything I've gotten so far that is ferrous (steel) has been powder coated with the exceptions of the steps and the forward fuel tank support brackets. All of my gear weldments (both legs and fuselage mounts) were powder coated.

dan said:
It's all about getting the flange angles aligned with the contour of the fuselage. They should not be perpendicular to the bulkhead web. Not sure if that's the issue in your case, but that's what it was in my case that made it difficult initially to get F-711 and F-712 to sit down fully. Tweaked the flanges, and they went in a little more easily.

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D
http://www.rvproject.com

Thanks, but no. I've already bent the flanges. The problem is on the sides where the tailcone skin is too wide for the bulkheads. I wish it were just the bulkheads that were too big--at least I know how to handle that since I've already done the fuel tanks. Somehow I need to bend the tailcone skin more than it already is so that the skin lays against the bulkhead flanges.

Any other confirmation on the tailgear weldment powdercoating from tailwheel folks?

Tailcone Fit and Powerdercoating

My tailgear weldment was not powdercoated. I wasn't careful in drilling it to the bulkhead, ruined it, and had to order another one. It wasn't powdercoated either. It is surprising that it is not powdercoated as all the other supplied steel parts are, but it is what it is. It seemed like a lot of other builders powder coated theirs at their own expense. I epoxy primed mine.

As far as the tailcone skin, it was a bear to bend it to conform to the two bulkheads. I finally got it by clamping the tailcone skin to the workbench with a 1.5" dowel and bending the thing by hand. It wasn't a lot of fun but the thing turned out surprisingly well. Good luck with it.

http://www.rvproject.com/20040904.html

My hangarmate Linas went through three tailcone skins new from Van's before he got one that was symmetrical and fit. Van's will tell you to bend the skin so it fits. I agree with that. Others might feel you're entitled to a part that fits right out of the box -- in which case you need to call Van's and bug 'em. But don't be surprised if the replacement doesn't fit perfectly either. It may take some massaging.

Tailwheel spring mount...mine was powder coated. I know at least 2 builders whose spring mount was not. Think you just got unlucky. Call Van's on Monday morning and I suspect they'll ship you a p/c'd one.

alpinelakespilot2000 said:
Also, on some people's pictures I see the tailgear weldment (that attaches to the bulkeads) powdercoated. Mine did not come powdercoated--is that unusual?
I just installed this part today (see here if interested) and no, it was not powder coated for me either. I gave it a coat of GBP988 and then topcoated with industrial-type enamel. No worries!

mcb

Tailcone

My tailwheel mount was not powdercoated, but no big deal to prep, prime & paint. I am on my 2nd tailcone, as the 1st was formed ridiculously off center. I sent a picture & Van's agreed to replace it. I then put it in the vice between two pieces of wood and finished the forming process. just kept moving & working it until it fit! But that has not been my biggest problem with the tailcone.

One of the F712 side flanges was a bit longer than than the other three, which meant that the face against the fuselage was a bit shorter than it's mate! I reformed the flange radius with a small piece of oak and a soft face hammer. Amazingly enough, it worked quite well and the skin lays nice and flat. Well, I thought I had the old tailcone whipped at that point (made up a bunch more new 4 letter words during the entire process), but alas....

The distance between hole centers on the F711 side flanges were 22/32 and the hole centers in the skin are 20/32. Contacted Van's and they stated that I must not have clamped the A & B sides tight B4 riveting, though I prefaced my email to them specifically stating that they were tight and I included a few pics for support. I drilled all rivets out, separating the two sides & F711 bars. I then clamped each half down to the bench, flange up, one flange at a time and measured from the bench top to the hole centers....definitely 11/32 on each. Well they say that can't happen, but it did. As of now, I will attempt to reform all flanges, shortening each by 1/32". Between now and tonight, though, I may still decide to reorder F711A & B. :(

Bill Swaim
RV7 - Fuse

Tailcone skin

alpinelakespilot2000 said:
Any suggestions for how to get the aft two bulkheads to fit into the tailcone skin? Obviously the tailcone skin needs to be bent in to fit the ribs but I don't want to kink the thick skin. (I've adjusted the bulkhead flanges already).
I did some adjusting of the tailcone skin. It seems to me Van's forming tool doesn't account for springback, or something! I bent it so the sides are basically vertical - to match the bulkheads and better match the side skins. It also made the bulkheads fit much better (but still not perfect).

Dennis Glaeser
7A - rear tailcone drilled. Now the ever popular 'debur & dimple' (so few words, so much work)

Thanks to all for the suggestions. It sounds like there is no easy way. I'll just cross my fingers and bend a little more on the skin until it sort of works.

They do not come powedered coated for a reason

Last year when mine came I called Van's about the lack of powder coating and they said they come unfinished so people could color them to match the plane as the bottom of them stick out. They also emphasized the need to do something with it, such as powder coating, to keep the steel away from the aluminum.

It cost me $35 to get mine coated.

My tailcone looks like WW's. I'm told the rudder stops will bring the side skins and cone skin into vertical alignment.

Priming fwd fuse parts soon,
Steve

Back