What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailcone bulkhead

dspender

Well Known Member
Patron
In the empennage instructions, page 10-3 Step 4 the two 1/8" holes in the Bulkhead (F-1011) are to be drilled to 5/8" with a Unibit. Step five asked us to drill the holes in the Rudder Cable Angle with the top of that angle 7/16" above the holes. One of the holes I drilled with the Unibit is 7/16" above the holes for the Rudder Cable Angle and the other hole I drilled with the Unibit is 11/32" above the hole. It is as though the Unibit moved during drilling of one of the holes and moved that hole closer to the Rudder Cable Angle attach site.
In the directions I have for the Empennage I don't see what goes through those holes drilled with the Unibit. What goes through? Do you believe there is a problem mounting the Rudder Cable Angle 11/32" instead of 7/16" above the holes it is meant to mount to? If those dimensions are critical, it appears I need to purchase another Bulkhead.

Eventually your rudder cables will be routed through those holes just before they exit the skin and attach to the rudder horns themselves. The angle underneath is there to provide a place to attach an Adel clamp to secure the rudder cable in place. So the small amount of difference in the holes isn't that big of a deal, as the adel clamp will be able to accommodate.

Capture_zpsee689bd7.gif

Back