What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailcone bulkhead fit

60av8tor

Well Known Member
I'm nearing the end of the empennage - prepping the tailcone parts for priming. Up until the tail cone, parts have fit quite well. The tailcone bulkheads to the skins were a slightly different matter; I think I had the bulkheads in and out 10 times trying to get the right fit.

I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I didn't notice this until today while scotchbriting in prep for primer, but what gives with the flange holes? Definitely beyond 2D edge distance limit.

These off-set holes even show up in some of the plan drawings, so I'm assuming it is as designed, but could some other 10 builders give me validation?:eek:
DSC_2801.jpg

DSC_2797.jpg

You don't describe or show a photo on how the bulkhead and skins don't align. Without those, it's hard for anyone to give any suggestions.

If you read the instructions for the bulkheads, it states to debur and flute as necessary. Not fluting, as your photo shows, may cause the holes not to align with the skin holes.

Fluting is more an art than science. You can flute multiple times, or even the depth of each flute will impact the outcome. Fortunately, if you over flute, you can flatten them back,out. Just be careful,you don't want to cause any cracks. You may want to have a local builder give you a fluting lesson.

As far as the hole distance from the edge, build on........

Hi Bob,

Yes, I did have to flute other areas of the bulk heads. You're right, it is definitely not a science. I did manage to get everything clecoed and match drilled. These flanges were in alignment, hence no fluting. I just found it odd, and didn't notice until prep for priming, that the pre-punched holes in these flanges would be shifted like shown in the pics.

Those are off to the edge so they hit the center of the J channels that slide under them

Thanks, Aerhed. I visited a shop this morning that had a -10 under construction and confirmed the offset flange holes are normal.

Back