What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailcone attach question

Oso Loco

Two aluminum angles overlap at this connection. They will be bolted with 4- AN3-5's, on each side-R and L.

Plans call for match drilling. Probably due to the age of the tailcone '06, there are no pilot holes in either of these two angles. Can someone provide spacing dimensions for me. No luck with Vans support either by phone or email.

I can use standard edge distance and evenly space the middle two, which is what I do unless I hear otherwise.

Thank you!

Oh, this may be my first post, I have purchased wings and tail from a previous builder, recently received my qb fuse and just ordered the finish kit. I am in Salt Lake with Sean, Scott and Rick for support but hate to ask them to remove their aft luggage skin to measure there.

I have completed a Bearhawk which I love, and an F1 Rocket which I also love but will sell to finance the engine, prop and panel.

Cal Brubaker.

On mine the most forward of the four bolts is 1/8 inch (left side), 3/16 (right side) aft of the center of the rivet hole for the tab on the bulkhead to the side (third side hole forward from the aft end of the forward longeron). So much for accuracy...the rest are spaced approx. 3/4 inch aft of each other. You will be removing and re-inserting them a couple of times later in the build for riveting access.

==dave==

Tailcone

Cal,

It looks like the QuickBuilders missed the holes. In the SB kit you, drill the holes from a Van's provided template in Section 29-2. Those holes are then match drilled into the tail cone longerons. It might be a good idea to send Van's a picture of the F-1046 L+R mid fuselage longerons ends and ask them why they weren't drilled.

Any slowbuilders around that can measure or loan you the F-1046B template?

F1046 Template has been included in quick build kits...We cut that four hole section off the template and used as transfer template... Just small version of original longeron template.

Back