What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailcone Assembly - Missing Step?

Phil

Well Known Member
I'm working on section 10 (Tailcone) and I'm having an issue finding the step to final drill the F-1037A Bellcrank angles.

10-9 Step 3: You separate the pieces.
10-9 Step 4: Not related to the 1037A's
10-9 Step 5: Final Drill the 3/16" attachment holes with a #12.

The next mention of the 1037A's (According to what I can find) is 10-23. This is where you run an AN4 bolt through the 1037A's and the bellcrank bearing.

I can't seem to find a step where you final drill the hole for the AN4 bolt. Since this is for a bellcrank, I want to make sure I hit the exact tolerance for the assembly and eliminate any and all slop.

Does anyone know where this step might be hiding?

Thanks,
Phil

Phil,
I went back and looked at my plans and I think the AN4 holes were already large enough on my brackets and didn't require final drilling. I simply deburred them.

I don't recall just at what stage, but somewhere Van's stop giving all the steps and they require you to look forward on the plans , as you did and find just what goes into the hole and drill for that hardware.

Since this is for a bellcrank, I want to make sure I hit the exact tolerance for the assembly and eliminate any and all slop.

Thanks,
Phil

Just to make sure you understand something here, the bolt is not an axle/pivot point.

The bolt is a clamp, and the inner ball of the swivel joint is held tight by the bolt, the motion is between the ball and the outer portion of the swivel.

In reading your post, sounds like you may have been looking at the bolt as a pivot point.

Yeah, you're right Mike. It's just to hold the inner bearing in place, but I'd like to keep slop out of the inside part of the bearing.

Anyone recall what the proper bit size is for an AN4 bolt? I tried to put it through the hole, but it definitely needs to be drilled.

Thanks,
Phil

Back