What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TailbeaconX TSO EFIS compatibility

Funguy

Well Known Member
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a TailbeaconX and found that the experimental version is only available bundled with the AV-20 or AV-30. It is available as "Unit Only" in the TSO version. I have a GRT Sport so I was planning to get the Experimental Unit Only version which no longer seems to be available. It was previously the case that the TSO version did not support 3rd Party EFIS. There is some suggestion on the UAvionix website that the TSO version may now support 3rd Party EFIS but its not very clear and everyone is off on holidays. Has anyone recently been through this and have a definitive answer? Thanks in advance!

Cheers, Sean

I bought the TSO version to connect to my AFS 6600. Hooked it up and tested it a while ago and looks good. Seemed to be the only way to get it without the control head. Still a ways away from flight yet but not expecting any issues.🤞 A fellow RVer with a 14 has this same setup flying for a number of months with no issues.

I understand the Experimental version was discontinued and replaced with the TSO version a while ago... They only sell one unit now.

My Experimental version was replaced with a TSO version, both units worked with the B43D/huVVer-AVI TailbeaconX controller to set Tx code and send Ident, with the encoder signal sent from my Dynon D10A.

Last edited:
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a TailbeaconX and found that the experimental version is only available bundled with the AV-20 or AV-30. It is available as "Unit Only" in the TSO version. I have a GRT Sport so I was planning to get the Experimental Unit Only version which no longer seems to be available. It was previously the case that the TSO version did not support 3rd Party EFIS. There is some suggestion on the UAvionix website that the TSO version may now support 3rd Party EFIS but its not very clear and everyone is off on holidays. Has anyone recently been through this and have a definitive answer? Thanks in advance!

Cheers, Sean

I'm in the same boat. Part of the reason I chose the GRT Sport EX was its compatibility with a future TailbeaconX. Please post if you learn the answer or if you find an alternate ADS-B solution for our EFIS choice. Good luck 🤞

This from the TailbeaconX Experimental manual.

7.7.1 EFIS
The following EFIS displays have the capability to send barometric pressure altitude data and control the mode and squawk functions of the tailBeaconX through any available RS-232 serial output.
List of Compatible EFIS’s
GRT
MINI-B
MINI-AP
MINI-X
Sport EX Horizon

MGL iEFIS

Back