What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

tail wheel bearing lubrication

Bubblehead

Well Known Member
I am installing a Bell tailwheel fork this weekend. I had the new one powder coated in the matching color for my -8 this last week, and started taking things apart today. In addition to replacing the fork I planned to touch up the paint on the tail rod.

When I removed the tail wheel and spun the old bearings one of them was moved freely but the other one was binding a little in one spot, so I was glad I had thought ahead and had new bearings on hand. The old bearings were the original bearings installed when the plane was built in the late 1990's and had about 400 hours on them.

Both the new and the old bearings are completely sealed and they don't appear to need separate lubrication like the bearings on the main gear do, but the tailwheel has a zerk fitting! There was a lot of old grease inside the hub - I know because I put it there - but I don't see how that grease could do any good at all.

Do the tailwheel bearings need to be lubricated or are they used "as is" from the package?

I am installing a Bell tailwheel fork this weekend. I had the new one powder coated in the matching color for my -8 this last week, and started taking things apart today. In addition to replacing the fork I planned to touch up the paint on the tail rod.

When I removed the tail wheel and spun the old bearings one of them was moved freely but the other one was binding a little in one spot, so I was glad I had thought ahead and had new bearings on hand. The old bearings were the original bearings installed when the plane was built in the late 1990's and had about 400 hours on them.

Both the new and the old bearings are completely sealed and they don't appear to need separate lubrication like the bearings on the main gear do, but the tailwheel has a zerk fitting! There was a lot of old grease inside the hub - I know because I put it there - but I don't see how that grease could do any good at all.

Do the tailwheel bearings need to be lubricated or are they used "as is" from the package?

Yep, the bearings are sealed and the zerk fitting is completely useless. Just keep a set of bearings on the spare parts shelf and install them when the old ones start getting a little "gritty".

The Bell fork is a nice piece, isn't it!

Last edited:
Yep, the bearings are sealed and the zerk fitting is completely useless. Just keep a set of bearings on the spare parts shelve and install them when the old ones start getting a little "gritty".

The Bell fork is a nice piece, isn't it!
I called Van's on Friday regarding this same subject.

They said the bearings can be pressed out but that you would probably damage them. At $32 for a new tail wheel, they suggested I just replace the thing when it gets bad.

As for the zerk fitting, he wished me luck in getting any grease to the bearing with a grease gun. Go figure.

The other minor issue I had was the locking pin was stuck in the fork. (I have Bell, like you.)

I just ran the top and bottom over a small file and the problem was solved.

Sam - thanks for the reply. That's exactly what I had done. I bought a set of bearings last winter and had them on the shelf. I figured they were cheap insurance and I was right.

The Bell fork is very very nice. Well worth the money for better clearance and handling from what everyone says. I painted the control arm at home tonight and will finish asembly tomorrow. I need to put one of Vince Frazier's Rocket links on too. The chains have scratched up the paint on the bottom of the rudder.

N941WR - I had no trouble at all tapping the bearings out from the inside with a long punch. The new bearings tapped into place. I used a big box end wrench so that I was not tapping on the inner race and everything went together beautifully. The wheel is on the axle in the fork and spins fine with no binding.

Last edited:
Back