What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tail Strobe Wiring

niblettda

Well Known Member
Hi all,

Just joined up today, but have been learning a lot in reading and building. I'm at the point of closing up my VS and there is a note about making sure to plan for wiring.

So I searched all the build sites I go to regularly, and I can't seem to find anything about these wires.

I'm assuming that they are refering to the tail strobe/nav light and/or beacon. Anyone have some suggestions on how best to run the wire for the strobe? I wasn't planning on running a beacon on my tail, but may on the back of the fuselage.

I was thinking that I'd end up with the wire going through the tail and up the rudder to eventually connect to the light.

I'd appreciate any pics or suggestions.

Thanks!

Not much help but...

Welcome to the family. I dont have any lights in the tail, just used wingtip strobes.

cheers,
greg

I have a strobe/nav light combo in the rudder. Wires do not run through the VT as they run through the fuselage and out the aft bulkhead before running into the rudder below the lower hinge point. In the rudder they are in the lower fiberglass fairing so are not an issue until you do the fiberglass work.

In the vertical I would guess it is for a nav antenna.

Tail light wiring

Welcome aboard!

For the tail/strobe light in the rudder (lower fairing), I put hole & grommet in the rear fuselage bulkhead, and cut a slot in the F/G for the wire. The light assembly has a Molex connector on it so it can be removed, and the slot in the fairing is big enough for the connector to go through in case the rudder ever needs to be removed.
Strobes are my anti-collision lights, I don't have a rotating beacon.
You don't have to do any of this right now, it can be done later.

I am using the A-650's on my wingtips but wanted a tail light also. I converted a used Whelen tail position light to LED running a Luxeon Rebel Star with three LED's. Man that thing is bright! I am going to forgo putting on a beacon for now.

Wow, and I thought I spent too much time reading the forums at work. :)

Thanks for the info all of you. I think I was on the same page as most of you that the wire should run out the back and into the rudder rather than through the VS.

Any tips on how best to secure the wire as it goes into the fiberglass faring?

As for just using the wingtips, I'm planning on using the recessed tips and put the nav, strobe and landing lights in there. So to meet the requirements I need to have a strobe at the tail as well (as I understand it). I know that I technically don't need a beacon, but it seems like a good idea still. I was contemplating putting a small turtle shell style LED on the back of the fuselage to handle that function.

Thoughts, comments?

And thanks to all of you for being so welcoming. Hopefully I'll run into some of you at Sun n' Fun this year.

lighting

Try to avoid placing any lights that could shine back onto the tops of the wings - especially a strobe. The reflected light will drive you crazy.

I went with the Whelen light kit from Van's. Strobe and white tail light are at at the aft bottom of the rudder fiberglass.

VOR on VS

Some folks put the VOR "cats wiskers" antennas on the Vertical Stab, and would need to plan for wire in the VS before closing it up. Mine will be in the wing tip, so I have not wires in the VS.

I'm planning a Whelan System 6, so may wires will go to the rudder and combo position light and strobe.

Just bought my LEDS from kesrel-air.com for both wing tips and tail. Howie put on a program at or EAA chapter and now Spruce is selling the lights too! Ask EAA they can tell you about a FAA siteabout lighting and I think Walan has the requirements on their site to download. Wiring with new LEDs Strobes are VERY EASY NOW. Tell Howie i sent you. Ron in Oregon

I put some conduit on the very fore part if the VS for the VOR antenna. That conduit exits some inches down and is fixed to the tail cone with an adel clamp. Immediately after I placed a BNC connector. So I can dismount the VS easily.

For lighting. I made a hole just on the left of the lower hinge bracket. I have some problems obtaining a smooth side to side rudder defletcion. So, I am thinking on making a slot maybe 1 inch wide to accomodate cable movement as rudder goes right-left and viceversa. I will have to place some rubber all round the perimeter in order to avoi those cable to chaf on fiberglass.

Holding down tail light wires in plastic tip

Welcome aboard!

For the tail/strobe light in the rudder (lower fairing), I put hole & grommet in the rear fuselage bulkhead, and cut a slot in the F/G for the wire. The light assembly has a Molex connector on it so it can be removed, and the slot in the fairing is big enough for the connector to go through in case the rudder ever needs to be removed.
Strobes are my anti-collision lights, I don't have a rotating beacon.
You don't have to do any of this right now, it can be done later.

So Dennis, how do you hold down the wires inside the rudder plastic tip? Does the connector just lay in the bottom with the wires as they go aft to the light? Is there any need to hold the wires from floating around? thanks

Back