What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TAIL SPRINGS VERSUS STEERING LINK

rv7guy2

Hi Guys.

I noticed at Airventure this year that quite a few RV 7 and 8's are using the Rocket Steering link over the Van supplied steering chains and springs. I was wondering what the advantages/disadvantages are of the link over the chains? In particular I was wondering if there is an issue with the link in a stiff crosswind not providing enough rudder movement to control the plane in the crosswind ? I have been told that may be the case.
I am at the point where hooking up the chains is about the last thing I have to do before inspection.

Dave C
RV-7
C-GCPD

rv7guy2 said:
Hi Guys.

I noticed at Airventure this year that quite a few RV 7 and 8's are using the Rocket Steering link over the Van supplied steering chains and springs. I was wondering what the advantages/disadvantages are of the link over the chains? In particular I was wondering if there is an issue with the link in a stiff crosswind not providing enough rudder movement to control the plane in the crosswind ? I have been told that may be the case.
I am at the point where hooking up the chains is about the last thing I have to do before inspection.

Dave C
RV-7
C-GCPD

The link doesn't affect rudder movement at all, at least on my RV-8.

The only issue that I have seen raised is the transition form rudder only control (tail still up on a wheel landing) to mostly tailwheel after the tail comes down. The steering link is more responsive than the chains, and more responsive than teh rudder at low speed. This can catch you by surprise if you aren't used to it, but it's really a matter of taste.

Taxiing, especially in a crosswind, is much easier with the link.

Personally, I don't find the transition from rudder to tailwheel at all bothersome, and neither does my hanagarmate. Locally the tail links outnumber chains by about 6:5.

I recently changed from chains to the rocketlink and like it.
My previous tailwheel time was in Supercubs and the RV8 has a lot more rudder response. With the Cub it's more like 'stab, stab' and the RV8 is 'touch, touch.
With the chains the RV went from touch to stab when the tail came down, with the link the control remains more sensitive throughout the rollout, more consistant. I like the link, slow taxi is also alot less 'busy'.

steve

I was wondering what the advantages/disadvantages are of the link over the chains?

The main advantage is the increase in speed due to the low-drag design of the link.

Well........it looks faster........ :D

I've been using the Rocket Link since it was first available several years ago and have had no problems with it.

Last edited:
Check it out

Do a search on this forum and you will find that some folks have had problems with the rocket steering link. I believe that it can go over center if not installed correctly, or maybe even if it is installed correctly. (I'm talking about the Jantzy (?) steering link.)
At any rate, I had purchased one and, based on some information I had read on this site and also from feedback from other local RVers, I returned it and purchased the Tail Lynx springs off of VAN's site, as well as the Vince Frazier tailwheel. (Similar to the Bell TW, but looks more like the original VAN's TW, only angled up for more clearance.)
The combination provides a very clean look and they work great. I can only speak to the parts that I have on my plane, but I would certainly recommend them.
The only caveat I have is with the Tail Lynx. I installed it opposite what the plans call for, with the springs at the TW end. I did this since I noticed that several installations, with the springs at the rudder horn, had hit up against the rudder and scratched the paint. I haven't had that problem, with the springs at the other end and they work just fine.
Just another data point for your consideration. Good luck.

i have the Rocket link and I am just learning to fly the Harmon Rocket.

You can't move the rudder at oll or hardly at all with the link and at least with the weight on my tail while you're sitting still.

Also, my tailwheel has kicked out twice on me while exiting the runway, any thoughts? everything is new.

Sure is a clean look.

The website is www.justplaneworks.com I have been using the product since the very first protypes on a number of different rockets. It has been a good product and when properly installed has been completly trouble free. The feel is a bit stiffer than springs and Wayne now has one with softer springs that I am going to try for him although I like the feel of the stock system. On the F1, with it's heavier tail weight, Vince Fraizier's new tail forks have been a real winner.
Both products are fairly priced and the steering link is the one most often seen at airshows.

i have the Rocket link and I am just learning to fly the Harmon Rocket. You can't move the rudder at oll or hardly at all with the link and at least with the weight on my tail while you're sitting still. Also, my tailwheel has kicked out twice on me while exiting the runway, any thoughts? everything is new.

Come to think of it, I probably can't move the rudder on my RV-6 while stopped, either. But why would I want to? The plane is always rolling forward anytime I need to make a turn......

If the tailwheel is unlocking too early, that is probably due to the assembly not being lubed properly. There is a pin and spring in the fork that must be well greased or you will have all sorts of problems with uncommanded unlocking. The pin can also wear if neglected and can stick in the bore which will cause the same problems.

This will occur regardless of whether you are using springs or a monolink.

Enjoy your new Rocket!

Mark
Get one of Vince Frazier's new tail forks. They will lighten the load on the tail considerably.
Take your tail unit apart and make sure the pin slids in and out easily. Sometimes on new units there are little burrs on the edges of the square cut out that causes the pin to bind. As Sam noted this is an area that needs attention. Be prepared to clean and lubricate these parts on a fairly regular basis, say every 20 hours or so. The extra weight of the rocket does add to some of sticking problems here and that new tail fork will reduce the time you spend playing with your tail....

My Experience has Been Different

Let me be the lone dissenter. I have flown about 60 hours with both the link and the Lynx stainless steel springs from Vans.

I dropped the steering link for two reasons. One, I had it installed correctly and it went over-center on me twice. One time, it cracked the bottom of my rudder fairing. Two, I did not like the handling of the airplane when landing in a crosswind. Because of the stiffness, if the tailwheel comes down with any rudder in, you will head off into the weeds quickly. That may be less of a problem for a RV, but for my Rocket, it scared me.

After removing the steering link and installing the stainless chains, I am much happier with the landing qualities. I need a little more give in the steering and I get it from the chains. I too, installed them reverse from the plans with the springs down by the tailwheel. This keeps from chipping the paint.

Your mileage may vary. What works for me (or doesn't work for me) might be different for you. Make up your own mind.

f1rocket said:
Let me be the lone dissenter...
Let me take that distinction away from you. I have flown an RV with a one-sided link and it was OK. The owner preferred it to the chains.

For me, the chains, with a bit of slack, are less of a transition from tailwheel on the ground to tailwheel off. With the link it seems like the steering gets more direct when the tailwheel touches and I'd just as soon the transition was more seamless. I have no emotion invested but I like the Van's setup better.

I also prefer the chains to the link. I like the chains "firm". Not too loose but not too tight.

This is an interesting thread! I guess I had always thought from the start that a link was better than chains, and never really questioned why. I haven't flown an RV with chains, and I don't have a lot of time in them with links, but either way this has me thinking maybe the link isn't all that necessary. Hmmm...

Yeah, it LOOKS faster, but it also IS faster.

Ever flown in close trail of another RV with chains? Watch those chains swirling 'round and 'round. Drag it up!

? for those sticking with the chains. .

For what it's worth I've flown the link and the chains and I like both. The RV is simply a sweet taildragger -- no doubt about it.

While we're on this subject I have a question. I'm goint to stick with chains on my RV-4 (I have to at least for now because I have the original style curved RV-4 tailspring; but don't think I'll change it even if I upgrade to a new spring and get the Frazier tailwheel, which I probably will.) I will confess that I'm a "drag criminal" (I leave my tie-downs in all the time!)

So. . . to deal with the spring clips wearing the steering arm and cutting into it over time, are ya'll putting in bushings or what? If anyone can provide a source for a bushing that will fit right in there and doesn't have to be fabricated I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

- Brett

bjustus said:
So. . . to deal with the spring clips wearing the steering arm and cutting into it over time, are ya'll putting in bushings or what? If anyone can provide a source for a bushing that will fit right in there and doesn't have to be fabricated I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

- Brett
Hey Brett
How about using eye bolts? The wear then goes on the eye bolt instead of the steering arm. You can also put them on the rudder control horn facing down to also eliminate the wear on it.

see http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/eyebolts.php

We have them on our RV-4 and have seen them on a lot of other tailwheel RVs.

Silver Bullet

I flew with chains for about 25 hours. I was completely new to the TW game when I flew my 7. I thought the tail steering on the ground was less than optimal especially after landing. Dan suggested the link system.

I went with the Silver Bullet because it looked cooler that the other one. The reports from those using them was good as well.

The install took about 20 minutes. I noticed an immediate ease of ground handling and more positive ground control during takeoff and after landing.

For those new to TW flying with an RV I'd suggest getting a link system from the get go. You'll find the progress much better.

Great suggestion Tom. (Too bad I already did my big Spruce order this morning! Oh well, UPS needs to stay in business too I guess.

If it's not too much trouble can you look at yours and tell me what diameter, grip length and whole size so I don't have to reinvent the wheel?

Thanks,

- Brett

rvator51 said:
Hey Brett
How about using eye bolts? The wear then goes on the eye bolt instead of the steering arm. You can also put them on the rudder control horn facing down to also eliminate the wear on it.

see http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/eyebolts.php

We have them on our RV-4 and have seen them on a lot of other tailwheel RVs.

Last edited:
Please read

Do a search on this forum and you will find that some folks have had problems with the rocket steering link. I believe that it can go over center if not installed correctly, or maybe even if it is installed correctly. (I'm talking about the Jantzy (?) steering link.)
At any rate, I had purchased one and, based on some information I had read on this site and also from feedback from other local RVers, I returned it and purchased the Tail Lynx springs off of VAN's site, as well as the Vince Frazier tailwheel. (Similar to the Bell TW, but looks more like the original VAN's TW, only angled up for more clearance.)
The combination provides a very clean look and they work great. I can only speak to the parts that I have on my plane, but I would certainly recommend them.
The only caveat I have is with the Tail Lynx. I installed it opposite what the plans call for, with the springs at the TW end. I did this since I noticed that several installations, with the springs at the rudder horn, had hit up against the rudder and scratched the paint. I haven't had that problem, with the springs at the other end and they work just fine.
Just another data point for your consideration. Good luck.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=39494

Back