What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tail spring rod moving

Antoine.S

Hello,
During tail wheel cleaning i've discovered a slight rotation (2-4?) of the spring rod inside the fuselage tube witch stay in position.

From your opignon/experience:
Is it more just the screw bolt that is passing trought tube/rod?

Or a rod wear and need to replace it?

Keep a CLOSE watch on it. Any movement only gets worse over time until something breaks.

If you find looseness again, you should switch the bolt to a tapered pin, or slightly oversize bolt.

That was exactly my idea, keep an eye on it.
Checking-it is now part of my pre & post-fly visit.

Hopefully the screw seem's to be less resistant than the assembly so they were grinded some micron on contact with the tube. Changing them for new ones gave me a total supression of movement even before the tighting.

The inner fuselage one was untight with a real micro losseness.
Thigten the screw/bolt (almost 1 turn to the torque..) complettly supress the loosness.

You tail forck is still one of the best improvement on my rv!
And the wwii stars and bars are still like new!
Great products i always recommend!

Antoine,

It sounds like you've got a handle on the problems.

And thanks for the kind words about our products!

finally drilled

hello!

After few hours of flight the move came back from the inner fuselage screw.

Fortunately the screw was a metric one with 0.3mm less than a standard AN4-14a needed at this place. (the only metric screw on the whole bird!)

so,

i've re-drilled the hole for the standard an4 and use a borescope & long tools to place screw/washer/nut by the little fuselage window.

Before tighten the new assembly, there was already, absolutely no move anymore ;)

Problem solved!

Last edited:
Back