What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tail skin pops in and out!!!! Help

spriteah

bb91d

Help Needed

My problem is I have a slight depression on my tailcone. When I touch near it it pops out but another depression forms on the other side of the internal support and vise versa. Please refer to pic. Has anyone else had this? Is there a cure?

Regards,

Jim

a>

Image here: http://www.freeimagehosting.net/bb91d

kj

Last edited:
Other builders have reported a depression in the same general area, and mine has a similar slight depression (about 5mm deep) forward of F1208 on both sides of the fuselage. It may reduce when the tail cone is fitted to the fuselage. I think some builders have packed out the F1208 frame and others have left it, which is what I'm planning to do.

Don't worry about it until everything is attached and cleckos are removed. Pretty normal, IMHO.

Looking good!

Some of us - -

shimmed that area. Right side is where the issue is mostly. I used the cut off wing rib angles for shims. Remove the rivets or clecos and shim it until it tightens a bit. Will keep it from doing that, and look better likely also.

John Bender

I had what you are describing. It firmed right up after attaching the tailone to the fuselage. Like Larry suggested, wait until you have it all riveted together.

I wouldn't attempt shimming it until the tailcone is attached to the fuselage - I didn't do any shimming on mine.

Agree with Andy - -

I shimmed mine AFTER the tail was installed. If you leave the rear side skins off, it is easier to get in and shim. You'll have a better idea as to what is needed after the tail is on.

John Bender

I had what you are describing. It firmed right up after attaching the tailone to the fuselage. Like Larry suggested, wait until you have it all riveted together.

I wouldn't attempt shimming it until the tailcone is attached to the fuselage - I didn't do any shimming on mine.

Ditto, I am glad I chose to wait because once the two were married, it was a non-issue and I had some real clunkers!

Shim it

I added shims to both side of that bulkhead. Fuselage looks much better flat than with a dimple in it....just personal opinion.:)

Back