What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tail position light problem

MSFT-1

Well Known Member
A month or so ago, I noticed that the tail postion light (on the base of the rudder) was broken. The glass lens that protects the actual bulb was broken (and part of it was missing). This is a pretty heavy duty piece of glass.

I wa sure I didn't run it into anything so I figured it had just fatigued and broken over the last three years. I ponied up the money to buy a new bulb and the lens cover (way too expensive if you ask me).

I replaced it but during my walk around yesterday I noticed tha the lens was broken again. It was all there, but it was very clearly cracked in a couple places. ARGHHHHH!!!!

Now I am wondering if the heat from the bulb is enough to crack the glass lens. Again, I am positive that I didn't hit it on anything.

Anyone else having this type of problem?

thanks.

I can't imagine heat being the problem. There have been too many of these things flying around for many decades. Could it be mounted under stress?

I found on my -6A that the stock gasket was too thick and it didn't take much effort with the screwdriver to ruin an expensive glass dome. So I got some thinner gasket material and cut out my own and no problem since.

Back