What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tail Pipes Drift Left?

jsharkey

Well Known Member
The tail pipes can move slightly left and right as a pair on the Vetterman mount with only the friction of the spherical joints to stop them.

When I center them in the outlet of the cowl they have a tendency to drift to the left again during flight.

Has anyone else noticed this? Do I need to tighten the spherical joints? Mind you that is controlled by the compression springs.

Jim Sharkey
RV-6 YO360-A1A Sensenich 72/85 FP Vetterman Cross Over

different set-up

On my Vetterman (with mufflers) I have braces connected to the lower engine mount. No problemo with moving to the right!

Regards, Tonny.

My Vetterman exhaust has very loose ball/spherical joints, but the lower exhaust is connected to the engine mount via SS rods and rubber tubing. There is still some movement of the lower exhaust due to the flexibility of the rubber tubing.

My Vetterman exhaust is hung from the engine mount with diagonal braces. This limits vertical and side to side movement.

Diagonal braces - why didn't I think of that? :)

Mine has a vertical brace to the sump flange from each pipe plus a transverse one joining the pipes per the plans. This allows the assembly to "parallelogram" - at least slightly.

Jim Sharkey
RV-6

Diagonal braces - why didn't I think of that? :)

Mine has a vertical brace to the sump flange from each pipe plus a transverse one joining the pipes per the plans. This allows the assembly to "parallelogram" - at least slightly.

Jim Sharkey
RV-6

If they are moving left, why not tie 'em off with a flex brace to something to the right?

For what it is worth, Larry has some alternate mounting methods for his system. I was having problems recently and spoke with him over the phone. He snail mailed me sketches of a couple of designs that he's flown and which passed muster. I think one of 'em would probaby work for you.

If I hadn't thrown away his sketches when I was done, I'd make a photo of 'em for ya...

Back