What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tail-Lift Development Update

Pmerems

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Here is the latest developments on the Tail-Lift Development. More info at this forum posting.

Attachments

• Tail-Lift.pdf
    383.5 KB · Views: 601
Paul, looks good.

I like the loop around the trolley and back to the frame----extra lifting power is handy, and allows a bit more precision in height adjustment for things like leveling the waterline.

Looks good, but….

The early NLA tail lift you are emulating has the advantage of having a large area between the lift “ramp” and the back support. This allows me to put a piece of plywood there to support a heavy weight.
For my 6, if I don’t weight the lift, the tail will “fly” when the wings are jacked.
I currently tie the tailwheel down along with weighting it.
Your new design would be more difficult to weigh down.
I like the more vertical lift and the strap should work better. Good job.

I am interested in one of these but I too would love to see some kind of anti-nose-over provision... the CG is pretty far forward when the tanks are full and the seats are empty.

I am interested in one of these but I too would love to see some kind of anti-nose-over provision... the CG is pretty far forward when the tanks are full and the seats are empty.
You said it better than I did…..

I am still using the Harbor Freight hydraulic lift table that someone recommended last year, very useful to get the lower cowling off and to lift the tail to work on the rear. I put a strap over the fuselage to hold the tail down as the lift weighs a few hundred pounds and is not going anywhere. This year was the first time I have done the condition inspection with the plane level, much more comfortable, should have done this years ago.

I am still using the Harbor Freight hydraulic lift table that someone recommended last year, very useful to get the lower cowling off and to lift the tail to work on the rear. I put a strap over the fuselage to hold the tail down as the lift weighs a few hundred pounds and is not going anywhere. This year was the first time I have done the condition inspection with the plane level, much more comfortable, should have done this years ago.
500 or 1,000 pound lift?

500 or 1,000 pound lift?

I have the 500 lb HF lift table and it's more than adequate.

I used it recently to lift and level the plane to accomplish an EFIS Pitch/Roll Offset calibration. The table didn't have enough lift height to get the plane level (hence the cardboard) but it's great for overall maintainance use.

If I need to work on the tailwheel, I lower the plane onto a HF tool stand with some foam or a folded moving blanket on the stand.

HF Lift Table.jpg

Level.jpg

Interesting design, but overkill IMO. I have used a stock (or scratch built) Tail Lift (no TM) with a direct drive cable and never had a problem.
Lift weight is not that much.
Best wishes on sales. Just dont see a big advantage over the changes.

500 or 1,000 pound lift?
500, more than adequate, I used it for the exact same purpose as the RV-10 poster to setup the 375 AHRS, also for removing the lower cowling (3 bladed prop), for lifting the tail for the condition inspection (checking linkage, greasing the tailwheel etc.), has been a very useful addition in the hangar.

Looks great. My only comment would be to try it on other tailwheel aircraft. I have a buddy who has one of the old ones. So far, an RV is the only airplane it has worked on. I tried it on a Christen Eagle and a PA20. The distance from the tailwheel saddle to the vertical lift column was too short for the other airplanes so the rudder's trailing edge hit it before you could get the TW in place.

I realize this is an RV forum, but if I were looking into manufacturing something like this, I would think that making it work for other airframes would expand it's marketability.

If there were a way to hold a scale, that would be really cool too, but might be more trouble than it's worth.

Anyway, just a suggestion and worth exactly what you paid for it.

Looks great. My only comment would be to try it on other tailwheel aircraft. I have a buddy who has one of the old ones. So far, an RV is the only airplane it has worked on. I tried it on a Christen Eagle and a PA20. The distance from the tailwheel saddle to the vertical lift column was too short for the other airplanes so the rudder's trailing edge hit it before you could get the TW in place.

I realize this is an RV forum, but if I were looking into manufacturing something like this, I would think that making it work for other airframes would expand it's marketability.

If there were a way to hold a scale, that would be really cool too, but might be more trouble than it's worth.

Anyway, just a suggestion and worth exactly what you paid for it.

On some aircraft you can slightly deflect the rudder and that will allow it to clear the vertical column.

Christmas has come early this year. The first Tail-Lift production run is completed. It has taken longer than I expected and life got in the way but I am pleased to let all you tail dragger owners know the Tail-lift is finally here.

I am selling through Blake at Fly Boy Accessories/Cleaveland Aircraft Tools. Many units from this production are already sold and there only a few left. I do not know when the next production run will begin, possibly several months depending upon demand. But if you were considering purchasing the Tail-Lift in the past please do not delay before they are all sold.

I have attached pdf to this post that covers the Tail-Lift the assembly and operation for your review. Feedback is always welcome.

Here is the link to ordering at Fly Boy Accessories

Tail-Lift Link

Attachments

• TAIL-LIFT-MANUAL.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 96
Second vote for the Tail Lift!

An hour 15 from box to lifting. Great quality, looks good and works great.

IMG_8799.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. For those still considering the Tail-Lift, there are only a few left from the production run. Contact Flyboy Accessories if interest.

Sold out. What a great response to the Tail-Lift. The first production batch sold out very quickly. I am trying to determine the size the next production run. If you are interested in the Tail-Lift and missed your opportunity to get one, please email me at [email protected] and I will add you to my Tail-Lift backorder list.

To you all you Tail Dragger's, thank you for your interest in the Tail-Lift.

Tail-Lift Link

Back