What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tail Cone Shear Clip

thomasyost

Does the orientation in the picture look correct for the shear clip?

I ask because the clip marked left is on the right to fit as shown later in the plans.

What is the purpose of a "shear clip"?

349auk4.jpg

Last edited:
Are you using the latest revision? I remember something being miss labeled in this area. If I remember right follow the drawing for orination, not the part number. I know I sent Vans a detailed e-mail about this, but it must still be there. If you are using the latest revision send them an e-mail about it.

I'm not sure why they call it a shear clip. It attached to the fuse assembly when you connect the two.

Your picture is correct

I attached my tail cone to the fuselage on friday and your picture is correct. The 90 bends points inboard... section 24-04 shows this.

Thanks for the responses. :)

I will send an email to Van's indicating that the labeling in Figure 4 on 10-03 (9/25/08) may be reversed.

It was a good thing I just checked on the latest revisions. I found that a couple pages in this section that were published just after I picked up my kit.

Last edited:
A shear clip transfers the out-of-plane loads that go from the panel into that stringer, to whatever the clip is attached to.

Back