What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tail cone fairing mounting holes problem

jamescone

Well Known Member
When you lay out the tape for mounting the tail cone fairing, the top hole on the bottom is not in the right place. The hole needs to be centered on the tab of the skin. See the 6th picture on my last set of pictures posted earlier. If you drill the hole where the tape shows you to drill, one of the nutplate legs will be off of the skin. There are two ways to solve this problem if you have already drilled the hole. One is to use a one leg nutplate and the other is to use one of those very short nutplates where the mounting holes are closer to the screw hole. If you have not drilled the hole, look at the placement from the inside and you will see where the hole needs to be drilled. Remark the location on the tape so that you can see where it needs to be drilled with the tail cone fairing in place. (You can't see it where it needs to go with the cone in place.) Gus at Van's said that they will come out with a correction.

Tailcone layup

Jim, we had difficulty with the tape 'AL', in that the reference line, when lined up where the F1280L and F1279L come together, doesn't match up with the drawing on pg 12-05. Is that the problem you were referring to?
thanks
Meade and George
#16:confused:

Jim, we had difficulty with the tape 'AL', in that the reference line, when lined up where the F1280L and F1279L come together, doesn't match up with the drawing on pg 12-05. Is that the problem you were referring to?
thanks
Meade and George
#16:confused:

No. What I am referring to is the area where there is a cut out that is needed to install the long bolt that mounts the stabilator. There is one on each side of the tail skin aft of the last bulkhead. There is a nutplate that is installed on the small tab of side skin. If you mark your tape as shown in the plans and drill for the nut plate, one of the legs of the nutplate will be off of the skin. There are three solutions to this. One is to make sure that you drill the hole for the nutplate in the center of that tab. Another is to use a one legged nutplate. Third, you can use one of the shorter legged nutplates, which is what I did because I had already drilled the hole for the nutplate and did not have any #6 one legged nutplates. I did have a short legged one.

PAGE 12-05

IF YOU GO TO THE REVISIONS PAGE ON VAN'S WEB SITE, I THINK YOU WILL FIND A REVISED SHEET 1205 WHICH SHOWS A REVISED LAYOUT OF THE AL TAPE.

GARY

Back