What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tail bumper

Machsandy

Has anyone designed or fitted any form of tail protector to the rear tie down bolt on nosewheel aeroplanes?

I was thinking maybe a small plate in the shape of a ski may be effective?

Most of our flying here in the UK is from grass strips, some of which have undulations and bumps.

Any advice on tailstrike avoidance or subsequent protection would be appreciated.

After a tail strike on the -8A

I bought one of the stainless "tail protector" that are used on Cessnas, and other aircraft. It bolted on through the tie-down ring. Not sure where I bought it --- maybe Aircraft Spruce, or Wag-Aero.

Ron

If you're doing that, you might consider making it crushable so the part is sacrificed (i.e. collapses) without transmitting a sudden jolt to the structure. I've seen several nosewheel RV's (and production aircraft too) with damaged rear bulkheads from tail strikes that were transmitted to the structure by tie-down rings.

If you're doing that, you might consider making it crushable so the part is sacrificed (i.e. collapses) without transmitting a sudden jolt to the structure. I've seen several nosewheel RV's (and production aircraft too) with damaged rear bulkheads from tail strikes that were transmitted to the structure by tie-down rings.

The Cessna style "tail skids" are kind of springy and should help to reduce some of the stress of a tail bump. Granted, I don't think it would absorb a whole lot of energy, but they do absorb some energy so a small tail strike wouldn't be so bad.

They are also pretty cheap, and easy to install:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/cessnatailskid.php

We had them on the Cessnas in the flight school I went to.

vans has the parts kit you need, it takes the training wheel off the front and puts one on the tail. :D

bob burns
RV-4

missed opportunity

ok, NOT an original idea, but if you are gonna do a skid, you HAVE to do a tailhook!!!!!

tailhook_zpssklb4tnc.jpg

an by the way, the bright colours are essential, lest you remove your scalp while doing the first walk-around...( and forget you installed it!!!!) :eek:

Back