What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tach problems

N24YW

Well Known Member
I was wondering if anyone has had a mechanical tach problem. I have a mechanical one from vans 315 hours on it and it seems to be off by 200 hundred RPMs (slow) I am going to get a electronic hand tach to verify but it sure seems to be off. It worked fine. Today it is reading slow. I couldnt get above 2500 rpms but I was indication 180mph. It idles at 400 rpm instead of 600.

Jim Knight
RV-6

promblems

Jim,
I have a mechanical tach from Vans as well. This summer at about 148 hours it starts going nuts....needle pegs then drops way off, then pegs again and I flew several flights and hours by hearing...amazing how you kind of do that anyway.
I contacted Van's as I thought my cable might be bad...they told me it was likely the instrument and not the cable, so I ordered a new one.
Installed it and flew a test flight...worked perfect. Next morning out to the field for another flight only to find the crystal face cracked right across. It looks like **** now.
Then on a recent flight to Lousiville KY for the Ryder Cup...GO USA...I noticed that the tach showed 5 hours of flight time even though the trip only took 2 1/2 hrs on my 8 day clock and watch.
Return flight the same...so not sure what to do now other that look for an electronic tach even though I want the old look.
DOug

This might...

Return flight the same...so not sure what to do now other that look for an electronic tach even though I want the old look.
DOug

...work for you Doug.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/tso_tachometer.php

An electronic tach. that looks like a mechanical one - the old look...:)

tachometer.jpg

Back