What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tach Drive sensor options with Vacuum pump used

Aiki_Aviator

Well Known Member
I am installing an Electronic Ignition system and am having some issues with feedback affecting the RPM induction sensors from the Slick Mags. :mad:

As such I am looking at an alternate RPM retrieval method that will provide either a 12V square wave input, or a 3 wire 5V input. Preferably the 5V option.

It will be going into an AFS unit and their input is +5v OUT, ground and sensor IN.

I would like to place a transducer on the tach drive, however I have a secondary alternator on the vacuum pad.

Are there any options people are using that could satisfy this requirement, (i.e. part numbers etc..)

Contrary to that, any other good options?

Thanks in advance.

Sensor

Andrew,

I have had good luck with the MGL mag sensor on my IO-360 but if you can't get that working right you can get a 12" extension tach cable from Van's that moves the tach sensor unit back away from the engine so you can clear the vacuum pad alternator. I had this installed on my 7A until I switched over to the MGL sensor from Aircraft Spruce. Search Tachgen on Van's webstore:

Transducer for systems with Vacuum Pump Equipped Engines
IE VTACHGEN 12
more info
$90.00

Andy

Last edited:
Back