What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tach cable

DeltaSierra

Well Known Member
Can somebody tell me the length of the tach cable for early model RV-3's and how it's routed from the engine tach port to the instrument panel.

Delta Sierra

From the few early RV-3's I have looked at, and my knowledge of the current plans and build notes, the answer is going to be "whatever length and routing is on your current plane". No two are alike - I doubt that there are two early -3's that are even exactly the same length (I mean FUSELAGE length!) due to the fabrication level of those kits.

Paul

tach cable length

Here's one data point taken off a no longer needed tach cable. 32 inches face to face and that was a near direct run with an appropriate amount of play. O-320

If your 3 has a fuselage tank definately do a mock up run with something fairly stiff (like a tach cable). I've seen a couple of RV3A fuselage tanks with a tube running thru the center to accomodate the tach cable.
Tom
RV3 repeat offender

tach cables

If your 3 has a fuselage tank definately do a mock up run with something fairly stiff (like a tach cable). I've seen a couple of RV3A fuselage tanks with a tube running thru the center to accomodate the tach cable.
Tom
RV3 repeat offender

The only mock up I'll be doing is the wire run from mag to the electronic tach :) I hate mechanical tachs. I've had the axle break inside the housing a few times (not on this one), but it is still an uptime issue for me.

This one is wing tanks so there was little in the way, it was a pretty straight run. Let me know if you want it for postage.

Back