What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

T Storm Outflow

flightlogic

Well Known Member
Patron
Reading Doug R's post this morning about the WX. And pilot decision making.
I want to grab someone by the throat some times. My AME flew into my home field on a day like Doug describes. The only plane to land for about three hours that Saturday. And this man has been to school. Missed common sense 101 it appears. And then there were the 19 Hotshots killed near my home last May.
The outflow from two thunderstorms blew through on my back porch minutes before getting to the fire fighters. The air attack knew it was coming. We could all see it on our smart phones. Smart phones carried by dumb people at times. I will stop ranting, but I hope the observations Doug made are taken to heart by any aviator stopping by for a moment to read and learn.
As noted historically.... the NTSB comes to investigate the storm related crash... and it is clear and beautiful when they arrive.

Where do you draw the line? I'm sure most would like to choke chainsaw jugglers, canyon tightrope walkers, etc. but why...you are ultimately responsible for your own safety and level of risks you want to take, and its not for someone else to decide. I'm sure most non-pilots think we're all crazy and should be banned from flying garage-built airplanes.

The answer to your question ("Why?") is simple. We do not live in a vacuum, we're all interlinked. If there's an RV accident then my insurance rates go up. Someone lands on top of a house then I get the wrath of the anti-airport crowd. If the cause is something I can see might happen to me, say, mechanical failure, then I shrug my shoulders. If it was due to someone being stupid (by my definition) then I'm upset. It is just human nature.

I can make the same argument about life insurance policies...why are you flying experimental airplanes, that puts you at risk and raises my life insurance. Thats my point, its a silly argument and nobody should be telling anyone else not to assume risks they're comfortable with.

Thunderstorms

The CFI that did my last flight review was killed a few months later in a thunderstorm. They scare me.

Bob, what I was trying to ask was, "If person X takes on a risk which can affect person Y, to what extent should person Y have input?" The answer is neither black and white nor absolute, but shades of gray. And because it is gray you will get a thousand different answers to each specific situation. Some will say Y gets no input, some a lot, and everything in between.

Intent

Like Flightlogic I live in AZ where we get Supercells but not the same type of Supercells that create tornados as in the tornado alley. Our Supercells will create very localized areas of intense weather including, Virga, microbursts and intense winds well outside of what you'd think. Also, Virga should not be messed with. DO NOT fly into Virga. They are often the precursor to Microbursts. You will not like the results.

I believe Doug's intent in his well written account is to advise us all to use better discretion. Why give anyone a reason to question GA? Certainly not being smart in such a situation would not help.

I always use the adage, "will my actions pass a headline test?" That has worked well for me over the years:D

Thanks Doug for venting.

Nobody should cast judgement upon others based on the difference between what they're comfortable with vs. what you are comfortable with. Its a fundamental problem in American society that puts people in this country far behind other cultures. Lets say the table next you you at a restaurant, as your looking at the desert menu, imagine the person at the table next to yours saying "you can't eat cake." Without getting into a broader social argument, lets take formation flying as an example. I fly formation. I like flying formation. I am quite comfortable with it, and have developed the skills required to do so. There are many here who dislike this activity, There are many who think I should not be doing it because if I have an accident, it could potentially increase their insurance rates. To which I would respond, you need to go home, get into bed, pull the covers up over yourself and never get out of bed, because you might get run over by a car going to work, struck by lightning, etc. and increase my health insurance rates.

People in general need to mind their own business.

Reading Doug R's post this morning about the WX. And pilot decision making.
I want to grab someone by the throat some times. My AME flew into my home field on a day like Doug describes. The only plane to land for about three hours that Saturday. And this man has been to school. Missed common sense 101 it appears. And then there were the 19 Hotshots killed near my home last May.
The outflow from two thunderstorms blew through on my back porch minutes before getting to the fire fighters. The air attack knew it was coming. We could all see it on our smart phones. Smart phones carried by dumb people at times. I will stop ranting, but I hope the observations Doug made are taken to heart by any aviator stopping by for a moment to read and learn.
As noted historically.... the NTSB comes to investigate the storm related crash... and it is clear and beautiful when they arrive.

Flying sailplanes in the Mojave desert invites being near strong convective lift.

Sometimes these nice cumulus can turn into isolated thunderstorms and microbursts with an associated haboob.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haboob

We were taught to always land towards a thunderstorm just in case it created an unexpected microburst. Since flying away is less of an option in a sailplane, landings adjacent to thunderstorms happen, even if the thunderstorm is small and a few miles away.

It's a good rule to follow on an desert summer day.

100% agree with Rocketbob. More and more, I think the typical American citizen acts something like this :
dQd.jpg

+2 for Rocketbob.

There are an endless number of things that people do that indirectly affect others in a way that they may not like! A tiny sample of such things includes:

The way they vote
The products/services they support
The way they drive
The way they fly
Their chosen lifestyle

The Great Experiment which is the U.S.A. was founded on the principles of individual rights, NOT collective rights. Once you begin to compromise these principles it becomes a very slippery slope and, as Rocketbob correctly noted, where do you draw the line? And perhaps even more importantly, WHO draws that line?? Your neighbor? Some bureaucrat?

President Regan said “as government expands liberty contracts”. He got it right!

[ed. I love a good safety discussion, but let's take the government talk to another site. http://www.vansairforce.net/rules.htm if you need to re-read it. br,dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
Odd..... this got way off track from intense thunderstorms. Maybe a separate thread for those that like daring flying.... ??

After 35 years of flying nothing scares me worse then thunderstorms and convective activity. The reason is simple. They are never predictable. You might get away with the same thing near storms 99 times but on the 100th time it goes very bad. I cringe when I see posts of RV's slipping between cells or ducking under storms to pick their way through lines of cells. You are simply rolling the dice.
This is not just a problem with low time pilots. Last summer in Columbus Ohio I witnessed a major airline flight land in what I can only describe as one of the worst acts of airmanship I have witnessed by a professional pilot. We had diverted to Columbus from CVG because a massive line of storms were moving rapidly through the area. We raced the line to CVG but it beat us there so we abandoned the approach and diverted. In Columbus after looking at the strength and size of the line we decided to wait it out on the ground. We watched it approaching the field on foreflight and the ships radar. As it reached the field boundary we were seeing a inky green solid wall of water coming at us. At that point we pick up a 737 coming in to land opposite the storm. We had 3 pilots on board all stunned by what we were seeing. We dialed tower up and listened as tower called out west boundary wind shear alerts to the 737. They pressed on regardless and made a safe landing. Less then 30 seconds after they landed we were reading 60 knots on our airspeed indicators as the outflow hit while sitting still. The wind was so bad they reported they were unable to taxi. After they landed another aircraft summed it up by transmitting on ground "gutsy move xxxxx gutsy move!"

Last edited:
How is flying formation, a skill that can be learned, practiced and flown safely be compared to flying in a thunderstorm? How could anyone be comfortable flying in a thunderstorm and be an advocate of it. I'm so completely baffled about the argument here. . . Doug's assessment is dead on (no pun intended). I don't care how many hours anyone has and how "comfortable" they are flying in IFR conditions, airplanes (any size) do not do well in a thunderstorm cell and to say that one could have the skill to fly it, should have the freedom to fly in it, is just unbelievable to me. :eek: :eek: Wow! No one is saying "how to fly" or "how to drive" just to tell other what to do, this is simple logic that came from someone that obviously cares about this community.

How is flying formation, a skill that can be learned, practiced and flown safely be compared to flying in a thunderstorm? How could anyone be comfortable flying in a thunderstorm and be an advocate of it. I'm so completely baffled about the argument here. . . Doug's assessment is dead on (no pun intended). I don't care how many hours anyone has and how "comfortable" they are flying in IFR conditions, airplanes (any size) do not do well in a thunderstorm cell and to say that one could have the skill to fly it, should have the freedom to fly in it, is just unbelievable to me. :eek: :eek: Wow! No one is saying "how to fly" or "how to drive" just to tell other what to do, this is simple logic that came from someone that obviously cares about this community.

I don't think any sane pilot would agree that flying *into* a thunderstorm is a-ok. The difference comes from how far away is "safe" / how close is "dangerous". That's the (no pun intended) gray area.

How is flying formation, a skill that can be learned, practiced and flown safely be compared to flying in a thunderstorm?

Its very similar in that you learn to think and keep your head under duress while flying. I've flown very close to and around many thunderstorms in the last 20 years and have a good understanding of what is safe vs. what isn't. Most of the time you can have lightning near by you and be in pretty smooth conditions. My requirement is always to have a clear and easy plan B out...easily managed risk.

Close to thunderstorms and lightening is not a place you really want to be. Yes it's often dead calm but one day it will be the opposite in the extreme. Everyone has a different concept of close so yours might be further then mine. Most airline flight departments use the following distances. 20 miles away while in the enroute phase above 20,000 feet. 5 miles away below 10,000 feet and 3 miles away while in the approach or departure phase. The last restriction is the one I would take to heart in a RV.

George

Doug's post remind me of when I first got my RV-4. I had been flying about 2 weeks and had met some real characters at the airport in that time. It was a new airport to me but the fellow I purchased the -4 from said I could keep it in his hangar until I found a place. Miraculously, my name came up for a hangar after 5 years of being on the waiting list. (Maybe it had something to do with me buying fuel? :)

Back to the story... There was a nasty thunderstorm just off the north end of the runway but I was ok to taxi down to my new hangar. I jumped in, fired it up and started to taxi when I noticed one of the old timers running out on the taxi way. He was jumping and pointing at the lightening popping about 3-5 miles off the end of the runway. He was essentially going to block me from taking off. I tossed open the canopy and told him I had a hangar behind his now and he looked oh so relieved.

I am very grateful of the actions of people like this. While I feel I have good judgment you never know when something like this is going to save you. Like maybe a tow bar dragging from your tailwheel or a pitot cover still on.

Famous last words.

Why is safe operations for everyone so often defined for all by one person's personal limits?

I'm 100% with Bob. RVs are not jet transports and they're not J-3s. I've operated in proximity to many t-storms in my 28 or so years of flying and each situation has to be evaluated individually.

To paint operations "near" any thunderstorm as death defying or negligent is not appropriate. What's a safe margin? 1 mile? 10? 50? Also, there are many factors that weigh into this risk equation. To not understand this fact is an overly simple mind set.

As for what Doug Reeves saw, that likely could have been one of those 60,000+' hail makers that I saw every spring when I lived in N Texas. And further, being proprietor of this site (and in light of the litigious nature of this country) I see his commentary as appropriate and proper.

There is a great diversity of opinions expressed above which indicates to me I am the only one responsible for my decisions. Everyone has their own perspective but I suspect the intensity of the outflow each imagines as they state their point of view is different. Flying sailplanes in Texas, I regularly flew the broadband lift generated by thunderstorm outflow. No problems and lots of lift which I believe was safe to fly. But a fast moving squall line is another issue. Depends on what the circumstances are and what I decide is acceptable for me. There is no blanket rule that can apply to all persons or situations. Lets not forget there can be clear air turbulence and hail 10 miles or more from certain cells

Why is safe operations for everyone so often defined for all by one person's personal limits?

My comment was in reference to his 20 years of thunderstorm "expertise".

No two thunderstorms are the same. All it takes is one storm to bite you hard...even if it does seem similar to the last one you flew near.

My comment was in reference to his 20 years of thunderstorm "expertise".

No two thunderstorms are the same. All it takes is one storm to bite you hard...even if it does seem similar to the last one you flew near.
Agreed. So how much room should we allow?

Famous last words.

Like Bob said, different people have different thresholds for risk. There is also the risk vs. reward matrix one has to solve for every instance.

Personally, I don't fly the -8 in anything over about 10 knots right now. I'm just not comfortable, or good enough.

Professionally we have SOP madated minimums and maximums that make the desicion for us.

That said, I'll give you a for instance....

A bunch of years ago I was flying part 91 charter for a guy, and on the return leg of a trip we were tasked to bring an organ in for transplant. Picked it up in VA and it needed to be in FL for the patient within 12 hours or the patient, and organ would pass. Only problem was there was a tropical storm rolling through. Sounds crazy right? With a little planning and a lot of luck we timed our arrival between the rain bands. After a very hairy RNAV approach we broke out and landed a Seneca in rain with winds gusting 45+. We had a VFR alternate and there was no way I wasn't going to try. We made it, patient got the heart.

Some fewer number of years ago we were providing close air support for troops in contact north of Baghdad. It was a life/death situation for the guys on the ground and there were thunderstorms all around us. The only tanker available in clear air was in the southern part of the country, with about a 45 minute round trip transit. There was another 15 miles away trying to pick it's way through the weather to us. We opted to take the risk, remain over head, and burned down dangerously low to get these guys clear. Wound up joining and getting our much needed gas in the weather, for some of the scariest flying I never want to repeat.

It's not always black and white. A little knowledge can go a long way in risk mitigation depending on the circumstances.

That said, thunderstorms deserve a wide margin.

I honestly have nothing to add because it will seem like I'm arguing but I will say God Bless you if you fly close to these dangerous storms and hope that your evaluation of your skills and the storms around you will you keep you safe for the rest of your flying career. I will be the one less traffic that you won't have to worry about hitting because I will be go WAY around that cell.

All the best'
AB

Like Bob said, different people have different thresholds for risk. There is also the risk vs. reward matrix one has to solve for every instance.

Personally, I don't fly the -8 in anything over about 10 knots right now. I'm just not comfortable, or good enough.

Professionally we have SOP madated minimums and maximums that make the desicion for us.

That said, I'll give you a for instance....

A bunch of years ago I was flying part 91 charter for a guy, and on the return leg of a trip we were tasked to bring an organ in for transplant. Picked it up in VA and it needed to be in FL for the patient within 12 hours or the patient, and organ would pass. Only problem was there was a tropical storm rolling through. Sounds crazy right? With a little planning and a lot of luck we timed our arrival between the rain bands. After a very hairy RNAV approach we broke out and landed a Seneca in rain with winds gusting 45+. We had a VFR alternate and there was no way I wasn't going to try. We made it, patient got the heart.

Some fewer number of years ago we were providing close air support for troops in contact north of Baghdad. It was a life/death situation for the guys on the ground and there were thunderstorms all around us. The only tanker available in clear air was in the southern part of the country, with about a 45 minute round trip transit. There was another 15 miles away trying to pick it's way through the weather to us. We opted to take the risk, remain over head, and burned down dangerously low to get these guys clear. Wound up joining and getting our much needed gas in the weather, for some of the scariest flying I never want to repeat.

It's not always black and white. A little knowledge can go a long way in risk mitigation depending on the circumstances.

That said, thunderstorms deserve a wide margin.
Kudos on these two examples. Two fantastic anecdotes for the risk/reward decision that has to be made. In both of these situations THE MISSION had to take precedent over the risk to the aircraft and personnel. No question about it.

A few points on the discussion though; I agree with Bob concerning personal vs group freedoms to decide for oneself whether one's decisions on the risk/reward meter meet PERSONAL minimums or maximums. Group insurance rates are a RED HERRING in this discussion. Any argument to that effect would imply the person making that argument is more concerned about themselves and not whether the actions of the person committing the act would have detrimental effects on the actor.

Concerning Sig600's examples, I think I might have slapped someone silly had some individual confronted me about flying in such risky conditions. Sometimes a risky action just has to be undertaken! Given that, I do feel that it would be extremely rare for me, and perhaps most others on this forum, to have to function in such a critical mission while flying my private aircraft. Each flight has its own unique mission that must be taken into consideration when evaluating the appropriate actions to be taken. Because of this, I can see where most commenting on this thread are going to think long and hard before flying anywhere close to thunderstorms. I know I do!

I have lived pretty much my entire life in Oklahoma. Wind, thunderstorms, hail, tornadoes are a way of life around here. If one spends any time at all in Oklahoma one would very quickly see things like ALL the local TV stations with their helicopters hovering nearby, not only thunderstorms, but tornadoes themselves! We have seen up close and personal footage right on our TV screens of these helicopter pilots getting incredible footage of developing or full blown tornadoes, LIVE! Do we chastise these pilots and the news producers for acting in such a risky manner when they place themselves and their aircraft in harms way?

A comment By Sig600 was made about a personal minimum about not flying his new RV8 in winds above 10 knots. This from the same guy that flew these two dangerous missions successfully. Well, power to him for setting those minimums for himself. He is the only one who has the knowledge to determine whether he or his aircraft can perform up to his standards in such situations. Who am I to say anything about his decisions?

Now perhaps I could have one moment of good natured teasing and say to him: In this part of the world if one did not fly in winds that exceeded 10 knots. . . well one might not ever find themselves flying much. :p Regardless of that fact, ribbing aside, it is his decision to make. Whether I were to chastise someone for flying foolishly near a thunderstorm or chastise someone for not flying in winds above 10 knots, both situations would be inappropriate.

Live Long and Prosper!

Now perhaps I could have one moment of good natured teasing and say to him: In this part of the world if one did not fly in winds that exceeded 10 knots. . . well one might not ever find themselves flying much. :p Regardless of that fact, ribbing aside, it is his decision to make. Whether I were to chastise someone for flying foolishly near a thunderstorm or chastise someone for not flying in winds above 10 knots, both situations would be inappropriate.
!

Oh trust me, on the leeward side of the Sierras it can get frustrating. It's an hour drive for me to get to the airport.

Case in point the airplane had not flown (or engine run) in about 2 weeks or so recently. I left the house at 0600 to try and beat the afternoon wind. Pushed the airplane out, started up, taxied out and by the time I hit the hold short it was 9 gusting to 15. I pulled my phone up, looked up the TAF again and it now showed winds over 15 starting an hour later. Turned around and went back to the hangar. Drove the hour home. It can be really frustrating at times but for now.... the limit is the limit and until I'm comfortable with something less I'm not going to push it and risk bending my baby!!!

Again, thuderstorms get at least 20 miles. If on the leeward side of the storm, especially a big one, 30-50 miles. In the pleasure flying world there is just no reason to venture closer unless you're out of gas and options... in which case there were some planning failures that happened much earlier, or unforcast weather.

Last edited:
the limit is the limit and until I'm comfortable with something less I'm not going to push it and risk bending my baby!!!
All I can say is: More power to you! It is your baby and your decisions are the only ones that matter. Hope we can meet up at Oshkosh or somewhere and share a beer together (perhaps Spotted Cow, courtesy of DanH.). :)

Again, thuderstorms get at least 20 miles. If on the leeward side of the storm, especially a big one, 30-50 miles. In the pleasure flying world there is just no reason to venture closer unless you're out of gas and options... in which case there were some planning failures that happened much earlier, or unforcast weather.

Yup. Consider that windshear, gusts, hail, etc. have been found 15+ miles out from thunderstorms and its in your best interest to give them a wide berth.

After all, no plane has ever crashed while tied down safely in front of an approaching storm. :D

After all, no plane has ever crashed while tied down safely in front of an approaching storm. :D

Welll.... I think I saw a couple planes totaled at Sun'n Fun and OSH that were tied down safely in frount of a storm. Some because they were not tied well enough, some because they were next to ones that were not.

Back