What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

T-912 Attach bracket - repair technique

Fearless

Well Known Member
Well I encountered another issue when trying to drill the bolt holes on the inboard T-912 attach bracket. The builder that I acquired the kit from had already put the nutplates on for the bolts in the main spar. I tried to mark the location of the holes by placing a drill bit through the nutplate and twisting to make a mark(but not destroy the threads). When I went to drill out the hole I must have not gotten the correct marks and the holes don't align. I will need to redrill the bolt holes in the proper location.

I was thinking that maybe I could fill the holes drilled with proseal or JB Weld and then redrill the proper holes later. I was thinking that I could use this bracket for one of the inner brackets for the right tank( possible less stress?).

Now I haven't done the right tank yet so I could use one of brackets for that side to finish up my left tank. But I would need to order another T-912 ($1.35 ea) bracket from Vans for a replacement at some point. I'm still suffering from the handling and shipping cost ($16.00) for the parts I just received yesterday (1 qt of proseal, 2 fuel pickup tubes and 6 W-822PP access plates (prior builder screwup) and need sometime to recover.

If this is unacceptable repair technique then I would need another attach bracket. Does anyone know where another source for the Z-bracket stock (part number also) is other than Vans? I tried looking on Aircraft Spruce and Wicks sites but couldn't seem to find anything. I'm sure I'll probably screw up something else and just have to order the bracket with something else needed from Vans. Just trying keep moving on the build and not have to wait for parts.

As always thanks for the replies. You guys (and gals) are great helping us newbies.

Thanks

You might take a photo and ask Van's -- I ended up with a few slightly "slotted" holes on my spar at the tank attach bolts -- they said not to worry and not bother drilling them to the next bolt size. This was not at the inboard position though.

If the misalignment is slight and there is some slop in the spar hole, you might also benefit by changing the nutplate to a "floater". You'd have to ask Van's about that too, I don't know if those are generally-acceptable replacements for standard nutpalates.

Is the bracket riveted to the tank already? As screw-ups go, a $3 Z-bracket isn't that bad. However drilling it off the tank and re-riveting it *could* cause some damage...mine distorted a little on riveting. That tank flange is pretty thin there.

Paul

Paul,

I haven't attached it yet. I don't think replacing the nutplates are necessary. What I can do is use one for the right tank thats not drilled yet and put it in place. It I tried to patch the goofed up one I would place it someone on the baffle between the inboard and outboard positions when I do the right tank.

Never Again

Someone just kick me if I even suggest acquiring a kit that was previously started.

I went ahead and robbed a bracket intended for the right baffle and made it over again for the left side. I have to buy some more parts to fix some more prior builder screw ups so I'll just get a couple new brackets then for the right tank.

It would be nice if Vans could relocate to the center of the country. These handling and shipping charges are killing me.

Mike:
I sympathize with you on the screw-ups by the previous builder. I got into the same situation. The horizontal was already built on mine when I bought it from the first owner, that was all he had built. It was in Bernville,Pa and I am in Norman Ok, a little South of Ok, City. He e-mailed me photos and it really looked good so I bought it. When it arrived and I uncrated it, I had another builder look it over as I had never driven rivits before. The first guy had not dimpled the holes deep enough, so I got to drill out every rivit on the horizontal and start over. So I learned how to drill out rivits before I ever drove one. It all worked out, the airplane is finished and flying and was well worth all the work. 3 1/2 yrs. to build a QB.
As Rosie says, "Keep poundin them rivits, it'll be worth it"
Mitchell Alexander
RV9A s/n 90293
245 hrs

Back