What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

T 405 Angle bracket

flyboy96

Hi guys, just got done fabricating my 405 angles for my fuel tanks. The question I have is how critical is the fore / aft placement of the bracket on the rib? I haven't looked closely at the fuse drawings but whatever the angle bolts to on the fuse must be at an exact position, I realise that the hole atatching it to the fuse is most likley drilled in the assembly but that doesn't help with the fore/aft question. Most of the pictures I've found don't say anything specific about this, it just looks like the bracket is snug into the nose of the rib. Any info or ideas would be a big help. Sorry for the rambling, just wanted make sure everyone knew what I was talking about.

Thanks.
Ted

Snug to the LE

IIRC (always a chancy thing), I didn't install that fitting until the rib was riveted to the skin because it blocks access to the LE rivets. In fact, I believe I even notched the 405s for those rivets to allow it to nestle all the way forward.
The angle on the fuselage that it mates to is bent to match the 405.

Yep, checked out Dans site along with a few others but nobody says how critical the fore/ aft pacement on the rib is. Evin if you just tuck it into the nose of the rib as tight as possible there could still be a variance of an 8th of an inch if not more. Until you are installing the wings how could you know where the 405 should be placed on the rib to line up with the flange on the fuse?

Thanks.

Don't fret about it. The fuse bracket is stamped from sheet steel and is flexible enough to bend so that it nicely sits atop the tank bracket. It's located per fuse plans, not match drilled to the tank.

An above post mentioned something very important. Cut notches to clear buck tails, and don't rivet in the tank angle until the rib is riveted to the skin. It's a gooey mess, but worse when you can't buck the rivets; MK-319-BS pops are an alternative. The outboard rib plate clears the rivets, but leaves little tool access, so same sequence with it, too.
Shape the tank angle using the pre-punched plate as a guide, cram it into the rib nose, drill your favorite rivet pattern after setting the flange parallel to the stamped stiffener in the rib web.

John Siebold

Back