What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Synthetic vision refresh rate Garmin vs Dynon

airspeedhigh

I'm New Here
Hi all,

I am in the final stages of deciding between the Garmin G3X Touch or the Dynon Skyview HDX for my RV-6A panel upgrade. Now that it looks like there will be no new EFIS updates announced at EAA, it’s time to decide.

I am leaning toward Dynon, but I have a concern over the Synthetic vision refresh rate. In all the videos that I have watched, it seems the SVS background image stutters across the screen as apposed to the Garmin which seams more fluid. Is that the cae, or is it just my imagination or a YouTube affect.

I don’t know anyone with either system installed so can’t, really see it in person.

Any comments from owners wouldd be appreciated.

Thanks

Andreas Ruttkiewicz
New owner RV-6A on Vancouver Island, BC

Is that the cae, or is it just my imagination or a YouTube affect.

Andreas Ruttkiewicz
New owner RV-6A on Vancouver Island, BC
This would be my guess. The HDX screens in my projects refresh rate is transparent.

Shoot fire - I even fly with polariazed sunglasses and never had an issue other than trying to look at the iPad to change music files.

Carl

I don't know about your specific question of synthetic refresh rate on either system but I have flown behind Garmin G3X, Dynon, Advanced and GRT and G3X is by far my favorite. Since I fly IFR at times, it has some of the nice futures that I have not seen in other systems such as VNAV, TO/GO and Smart glide to name a few. If the fear of a small company wasn't a factor, GRT would have been my second definite choice.

I don't know about your specific question of synthetic refresh rate on either system but I have flown behind Garmin G3X, Dynon, Advanced and GRT and G3X is by far my favorite. Since I fly IFR at times, it has some of the nice futures that I have not seen in other systems such as VNAV, TO/GO and Smart glide to name a few. If the fear of a small company wasn't a factor, GRT would have been my second definite choice.
Re: refresh rates, make sure you're comparing current systems. I know AFS upgraded their CPU on their most recent models, and the performance improvement is supposedly significant. Oh, and Dynon/AFS just announced their version of Smart Glide too.

Back