What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Switchology Conventions? A different Paradigm ?

Laird

Well Known Member
Hi all,

This mornings random musings on instrument panel switchology....

Most RV's (and other types) I've seen have the switches grouped by function, i.e. mags together, radios, lights together. That's the way I did my RV-6 many many moons ago.

Downside to that I see is that you have to think a bit while your going thru your checklist going from one switch to the next.

What if, and I don't think I've seen this done, you have the switches lined up by process, or the check list???

Example would be, from left to right, Master, EFIS, Boost Pump, L/H Mag, Starter, R/H Mag, Strobes, Wig Wag, Nav Lights, etc.

I'm thinking that it might get easier to see each step of the checklist has been completed on start up moving left to right. I think switch grouping might be more helpful in an emergency, but hopefully that should be a rare occurrence.

Have you seen this done before?

Thoughts?

Downside to that I see is that you have to think a bit while your going thru your checklist going from one switch to the next.
Needs to be as intuitive as possible; less for the start check list and more for the unexpected, oh sh!ts! Look at your own words above then apply/add a multiplier for that to a high stress situation. My $0.02.

Back