What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Switch for Gretz Pitot?

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
Is it worth wiring up a switch for the Gretz heated pitot since it's automatic? I'm wondering if there's a point in having a dedicated switch if it's always going to be on anyway? I'm thinking that connecting it to the avionics master would provide on/off control for maintenance and if all else fails, I could turn it off manually via the VP-X.

On power up, it draws about 7 amps. That tails off as it heats up. The idle current is probably under 1 amp. I would still kill it if not needed. In the event of an alternator loss, I would want everything off that was not needed.

True, but I have an Emergency Bus switch that only includes essential electronics. In case of power issues, I would shed the avionics master and the pitot would go off with that.

I put it on a switch on the vp-x. Some h ow I manage to still have one open switch port on the vp-x.

Makes sense to have a switch ...

I put mine on a toggle. I always want the ability to manually kill unwanted loads. My concern was the unit failing in a way that left it on all the time. $5 for a toggle; easy decision. :D

Since I am using the box, I think for the rare times I need to kill it, I can do it from the efis. I'm a little low on switch space and given the automatic nature, I'll forgo the switch.

Back