What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Survived First Power Up

BigD

Well Known Member
Temporarily put the upper fwd fuse on and started plugging in connectors. First we had to wheel the project outside and rakishly prop the GPS/VHF antenna up:

205xloh.jpg

Then add some electrons and VIOLA!

11imnmu.jpg

That's really a carbon fiber panel painted to look like pegboard...I haven't performed the necessary surgery on the sub-panel for the radio stack, so we just plugged in the radio to see if it would light up (it did). Now I'm gonna have to solder a couple of headset jacks up to test the audio &c. Not completely glitch free, as the system couldn't find the magnetometer, but that's getting worked on. All in all, it's progress. Copious thanks to Stein for assistance.

==dave==

Cabin top still in my future....

What is your total avionics package

I,m in the process of designing an avionics pkg. and would like some suggestions for a RV-12 ifr package. I,m trying to decide on which of the four mfg,s 10" displays to use. Any help would be appriciated.

I'm putting in a 3 panel G3X with autopilot servos/panel, GTR 200 radio, audio panel, Dynon D-6, AOA/heated probe, ACK E-04 ELT, VPX-Pro, GTX23 ES transponder with GDL 39R, and someday a GTN 650 GPS - connectors are wired for it and I have the tray, but we may end up flying for a while without it. And I'm putting in a steam driven airspeed guage for old times sake.

Day one of tracking down wiring mistakes went well, I'm 2 for 4 - two left to figure out. If you misread the wiring diagram and flip two pins around, you might have issues...or, leave one end of the wire hanging under the panel unterminated you might have communications errors.

==dave==

It's great when it works. I managed to have only 3 snags:

- the dimmers for the instrument lights were intermittently shorting out on the back of the panel

- I wired one side of the rear jacks swapping mic/phones

- I wired one of the Skyview serial ports tx-tx and rx-rx instead of tx-rx and rx-tx

I was quite pleased. Right up until I powered up after tidying all the firewall forward stuff and found I had the alternate air cable across the shunt. Impressive bang and flash! Fortunately, I had enough length left to do the job. :eek:

Back