What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

supplenator anyone?

Thanks for the tip

This alternator appears large enough to be my primary. I've been talking to B&C for a while, trying to get my loads down to allow their 20 amp vac pad alt to do the job. One issue that is not well advertized is that the B&C unit does not put out any significant power at idle. The salesman at the SnF booth basically said zero. I plan to check on this GAMA unit to see if it is similar.

Bill,

I have an SD-20 on Bus B, and there is always a low voltage condition at idle up to about 1500 RPM. Once you takeoff though it's fine.

Think a bit here.

The main alternator is driven from the flywheel pulley-----apx 10", to a pulley about 3" on the alt itself.

Roughly 3 to 1 overdrive.

The accessory pad is at engine speed, or maybe half I would imagine.

Seems normal for an alternator on the acc drive to be weak at idle.

Darned physics, anyway

Yep, I know the vac pad is at 1.3 : 1 . vs the approx 3:1 available using a belt. When I first began dreaming of using the vac pad as primary, I had hoped that the B&C 20 amp alternator windings were designed for the lower rpm. Instead, it is essentially using the belt driven alternator rotor and windings in a new casting and accepting what you get in regards to power. This is a reasonable design for a backup alternator, but hey, I've been called unreasonable before :D

Back