What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Superior, Vetterman & Christen Working together?

Hello,

Has anyone installed a Christen Oil system on one of the new Superior sumps? My Vetterman cross over exhaust does not leave enough clearance for the inverted system fittings.

Is there a solution to this? Would another type of exhaust fit my new sump AND provide clearance for the fittings?

I have photos here of the clearance issue:
http://picasaweb.google.com/fzvs2f/VettermanInstall?authkey=Gv1sRgCMPVmP2SwdL1vQE#5383127645649017938

Also, I have a quick drain plug that won't fit either. Would it be okay to place it in the spare port (opposite the strainer) on the left vertical side of the sump?

Thanks for your help.

Best Regards,

Andrew Butler,
RV7 EI-EEO
Galway, Ireland.

Andrew,

Thanks for posting the pictures - I was thinking of using the same configuration. The best way forward is probably to contact Larry Vetterman and get a different exhaust pipe, but that will be expensive on shipping to Ireland. Larry's customer service is great, I would call him up if you haven't already. I can't see anyway of making the inverted connections work with your current exhaust.

When you say you're thinking of putting a quick drain in "the spare port (opposite the strainer) on the left vertical side of the sump" I'm guessing that will be OK - might be worth checking that it is just an open port into the sump when you take the bung out. You could also use this port to feed the oil to the inverted system (although the breather fitting would still be a challenge).

Is the strainer the same as in a Lyco? So will the normal Christen method of shortening the strainer and blocking up the engine end still work?

Pete

Conversion Photos

I put some photos here http://picasaweb.google.com/fzvs2f under Inverted Oil System of the process to convert the Superior Sump to accept the Christan Oil system. Following the instructions, the actual install was surprisingly straightforward. The hardest part was fabricating the hoses.

I made two new brackets for the throttle and mixture out of .05 steel sheet and attached them to the bottom of the sump. I think they will work fine. The throttle was straightforward. The mixture less so. I will post photos for these too.

Regards, Andrew.

Back