What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Superior AD on Crankshaft

Smilin' Jack

Well Known Member
Bring ya all up to date

Like many who faced this AD on the crankshaft, in March if this year finally removed the engine took it to an engine shop in Lafayette, Georgia and was told it was in the Que for 18!weeks. I initially said well let me know when 17 weeks are done and then I would take it off the plane and hand deliver. I was told no it has to be here in order and if I did not take it up there would be other engines ahead of mine
Well March 4 I delivered the engine. 30 weeks still had 5 engines ahead if mine.
I call them and said I was picking it up and would have an A&P at our airport who agreed to help me put it together that was a week ago.
RB aviations services at Jasper,georgia. So this week has been spent putting in the new 8500.00 crankshaft in and putting the engine together. Richard the owner if RB Aviation used to work in an overhaul shop in Winder,ga.
It has gone smoothly and we plan on hanging the engine this Friday.

A long saga price gouging on the crankshafts since the AD was issued.
Then I will have Richard do the static and transponder check which expired in April.
Hopefully will be in the air with in the week.
Since I do Angel flights I could not continue without complying with the AD as a lawyer would have a hay day if something happened.

Still today so you know Justin at the FAA office still states there has only been the 3 recorded failures all in Cessna’s with the 180 Hp motor. The AMOC that was hopeful is dead
My old crank looks beautiful.

FYI
Smilin Jack

Ps if you need a nice paint job done we have an excellent painter on the field also.

Last edited:
Well sounds about as good as can be done at this point. I did the same over a year ago and am trying to forget the entire experience. :)

So now the question is, what exactly do we do with the old crankshaft? Seems terrible to just drop it into the metal recycling bin, but at some point do I really need it sitting around the shop?

Back