What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sun Tail

lllewis45

I am considering installing a Sun Tail combination position/ strobe unit to replace the Whelen A555a position light in my RV-7A rudder lower fairing. Has anyone else done that? Vans now sells them for $340. Aeroleds advertices it as a direct repalcement for my Whelen position light with no power supply needed.

I replaced my Whelen tail light/strobe with the AeroLed Suntail. I also replaced my wingtip NAV light/strobes with AeroLed units. One thing you'll need to do is ground the light chassis to the structure near the light. For the Suntail on the bottom of the rudder on an RV, this is not easy. I ended up installing the adapter ring sold by Cleaveland:

http://www.cleavelandtool.com/Tail-Light-Adapter-Ring/productinfo/RVTLR/#.UnW13bK9KSM

In place of one of the rivets on the ring I installed a #6 screw and nut so I could attach a wire which, along with the light unit ground and shield ground, goes to bolt in the tail section near the rudder. Their newest lights are supposed to be internally grounded, so maybe this won't be necessary, but I did it anyway. The first set of AeroLed lights I bought at Oshkosh this summer from Wicks were very noisy when the strobes were on. They must have been an old version. Dean at AeroLed helped me and just this week, sent me a new set. These new ones are completely quiet. I wired them as depicted in the drawings and they are very bright and use little power. Good luck, you'll like them.

Back