What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sun shade attach ?

49clipper

Well Known Member
How does everyone attach your overhead aftermarket sun shade to the canopy? I love it, but can't seem to keep it up with double sided tape. I have tried two brands, but after a couple of months it just falls down. Will velcro work? Any ideas?
Jim
N189EM
RV-6

I just use a couple of those wallyworld folding cloth screens that have suction cups. Works great, and I can move them to the sides or wherever the sun is coming in.

greg

We have adopted those as well here at KMOR...Three of us RV'ers have em.

Same as this one without the kid...semi transparent and with suction cups.

I think they are like $4.95 for two at Walmart aircraft supply.

tolae_2119_36062667

And I recently went down to the local rubber sheet supply company and bought a couple pieces of thin rubber sheeting, cut to shape and fit around the suction cup fittings. This gives complete sun blocking if necessary (I had been using old sectionals before).

greg

We had similar problems getting the double-stick tape to consistently adhere on our RV-6 canopy - especially during the hot summer months. What has worked well for us was to install white VELCRO tape the length of the rail and on the canopy overhaead centerline. The VELCRO tape does an excellent job of holding the rail in position, yet has enough give & take to permit the rail / canopy to move a bit relative to each other. -- DHeal

Are you talking about the Koger sunshade? With this unit, it is critical that you bend and tweak the aluminum channel so that it precisely fits the curve on the canopy. It is pretty close as it is shipped but still needs some tweaking. If it is not perfect then it ends up putting some pre-load on the tape and that kind of tape doesn't last long if it's pre-loaded in tension.

I've had mine in my tip up 6 for six years with no problems.

It took me the better part of a couple of hours to install the center rail for my Koger... Bend, check fit, bend, check fit, straighten, check fit again, bend, check fit... Then start working on the cross pieces. Arrggh! But it was worth it. It's only been on for two months so I can't really comment on the long-term performance, but it fits like a glove and hasn't wanted to budge.

If you're installing it on a slider, you can drill into the center rail in your canopy and pop-rivet it in place. I don't know anyone who has used the adhesive mount on a slider.

49cliper

I called Koger and asked them. They reiterated to make absolutely sure the bend matches the canopy and then use the special automotive attachment tape used for trim strips and such. I did and its now on for the fourth time. The bend is perfect, so hope it lasts this time. I had bought velcro to try, but one more try for the tape.
Jim
N189EM
RV-6 tipup

Update: 5 months after install, and still sticking strong. I think the solution is indeed the careful preparation of the track to make sure it fits the canopy as closely as possible.

Back