What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Summary - AOA Calibration and Use

Terry Lutz

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Many thanks to all of you who took the time to respond to the survey about AOA Calibration and Use. Here is a brief summary.

The systems reported on were:
10 - Garmin or G3X
4 - Dynon
3 - Other (FlyOnSpeed)
2 - AFS
1 - GRT

With a few exceptions, the survey respondents indicated that the calibration of their system was straightforward and accurate. Of particular significance is that with one exception, everyone felt a calibrated AOA systems was an effective stall warning. In the comments regarding how often AOA is being used, a lot of respondents mentioned using the aural tones, regardless of the type of system they are using. One respondent had the Garmin GI-260 AOA display mounted on the glareshield and used that. Those comments are worth re-reading as food for thought.

I have two AOA systems in my RV-8, a G3X and I'm doing differential pressure testing with the FlyOnSpeed system. I elected to let the thread run out until I added my experience so as not to influence the other responders.

Many thanks to DR for allowing the survey, and adding his comments to the thread! And many thanks to Paul Dye for releasing a well-timed video that showed a few of the respondents the straightforward way to calibrate their Garmin AOA.

Good information Terry - thanks for compiling that! When I saw you’re post a little while ago, it made me realize I needed to post my data for Garmin, Dynon, AFS AoA Pro, MGL, OnSpeed, FeelFlight, and a couple of others I have done….but I can send that direct to you….

Paul

Back