What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Suction Screen Crush Washer

SeanB

Well Known Member
Okay…I know I’ve read it…but can’t seem to find it. Does the copper crush washer for the suction screen have the split facing the sump (forward) or facing the plug (aft)? I think split faces sump, but want to make sure.

Thanks!

Thanks guys!!! I will make positive contact, then tighten 135 degrees and hope for no leaks.

The friction in the plug makes it hard to know when it makes contact even when the threads are lubricated. “Snug” isn’t mentioned in the manual…..

The strainer on my Superior cold-air sump has a slightly larger plug. I need to go to 180-degrees of tightness to prevent leaks.

Double check that.. I just did mine. -12 threads, copper gasket should be 90 degrees of turn.

According to my Lycoming O-360 overhaul manual, that plug for the oil suction screen, PN LW-12545, is a 5/8 hex head X 1.00; 20 threads per inch. Proper torque on the AN900 crush washer is 135* for a thread pitch of 20.

According to my Lycoming O-360 overhaul manual, that plug for the oil suction screen, PN LW-12545, is a 5/8 hex head X 1.00; 20 threads per inch. Proper torque on the AN900 crush washer is 135* for a thread pitch of 20.

You're right.. I was looking at the PN 61358 Plug for a -E2G.

Maybe I did it wrong?

I marked the plug's position before removal.
With a new crush gasket, I tightened the plug to it's original position, then safetied.

1 year, 60 hours later, no leaks...
Luck ??

With a new crush gasket, I tightened the plug to it's original position, then safetied.

Luck ??

I mistakenly tightened mine 90 degrees and no leaks. I don't think it's that critical. Just so long as it starts to crush and is tight (and safety wired of course).

Luck ??

It’s easy enough to do it right.. No reason to potentially mirror the last tightening amount.. install the new gasket, screw it in with your fingers as tight as your fingers can, make a sharpie line, then using your 5/8 wrench, go 90 degrees plus another 45 degrees and saftey wire.. easy!

Last edited:
Back