What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stupid mistake

SuperCubDriver

Well Known Member
Today I riveted the aluminum stripes to the firewall with MilSpec fasteners on it. Look how stupid one could be!!
When I was finished I saw this - see pic. One stripe inverted!
Not a real issue but it tells you it?s time to have a rest!

IMG_0550edit.jpg

It may not be as easy as drilling it off, flipping it over, and riveting in place. Did you counter sink that strip?

BTW, that looks like something I would do.

Maybe

just use the extra exit air area to increase cooling on the right side. Might mitigate valve sticking and/or wear on the odd numbered cylinders if you're using a parallel valve Lycosaurus...

Or maybe not...;)

Last edited:
If they are in the right place it might be easier to drill off the receptacles and reverse them.

Flip

Today I riveted the aluminum stripes to the firewall with MilSpec fasteners on it. Look how stupid one could be!!
When I was finished I saw this - see pic. One stripe inverted!
Not a real issue but it tells you it?s time to have a rest!

IMG_0550edit.jpg

No use drilling the whole strip out. Flip the MilSpecs. If countersinking this side enlarges the rivet holes too much, just rivet back up plates to the far side. The rivets that hold the MilSpecs in place are not very structurally necessary---they're mosty to hold the fasteners in place.

I see nothing wrong here. Education is a part of recreation. Leave it till you get the engine :D

The engine hang already, did the cowling and baffling.
Now I had access to rivet on the stripes, I just drilled this one out, turned it over and riveted it on again - no problem with the dimpled skin.

So how did you prepare the strip to allow reversing it from your original install? Depending on whether it was machine countersunk or dimpled before, did you machine countersink/re-dimple the other side?

Just curious. :)

The strip was prepared correctly. I just riveted it on reversed. I drilled the rivets out, turned the strip and riveted it on again, it is .063 alclad. It was countersunk, no additional work was necessary and nothing was deformed. I found one picture after the repair, note I didn?t scallop around the upper fasteners to avoid catching the lower cowl.

IMG_0581edit.jpg

Back