What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stumped on riveting front HS spar on a -7

Lou

I've tried about a dozen ways to fit the squeezer (Cleaveland Main Squeeze) in to rivet the nose and main rib on the front HS spar (HS404/405/702/710-714). Can't get the squeezer in and square on the rivet, or even close. I only have the standard 3" yoke and a 4' no hole.

I tried a post out in the general section but no takers. Should I try another squeezer or possibly a longeron yoke? I have positioned the squeezer forward and back, up and down. The angle splices 710/714 are limiting my approach angle. If I bend the main rib far enough back I can probably shoot it but I would prefer to squeeze if it can be done.:confused:

Checked out the archives and it looks like everyone else blew right on by without any problems in this area. I've got to missing something really simple.

I've tried about a dozen ways to fit the squeezer (Cleaveland Main Squeeze) in to rivet the nose and main rib on the front HS spar (HS404/405/702/710-714). Can't get the squeezer in and square on the rivet, or even close. I only have the standard 3" yoke and a 4' no hole.

I tried a post out in the general section but no takers. Should I try another squeezer or possibly a longeron yoke? I have positioned the squeezer forward and back, up and down. The angle splices 710/714 are limiting my approach angle. If I bend the main rib far enough back I can probably shoot it but I would prefer to squeeze if it can be done.:confused:

Checked out the archives and it looks like everyone else blew right on by without any problems in this area. I've got to missing something really simple.

I was stuck in your spot as well.

I used a longeron yoke to get around the splice angle.....

If you don't have one already, you're going to need an offset rivet set at various points in your build, so get one now and just shoot the rivets. However you do it, an extra set of hands to hold things out of the way really helps here. Good luck.

Your my hero's!

I didn't even think about the offset. I really thought I was starting to lose it. I think the frame on the Main Squeeze might be part of the problem - it's squared off and can only fit squared up with the rib.

Anyway, I can cancel the session with the psych and order up an offset. Maybe another squeezer with a longeron yoke might be prudent as well. I'll probably need both anyway all throughout the build.

Thanks again for saving my sanity. :eek:

Lou-

To add to my earlier suggestion, if you're going to buy an offset, I've found that I prefer the single offset rather than a double offset, though both come in handy at times. Also, the shorter the set, the less pressure that is needed on the gun. In any case, and especially for offsets, the Avery "snap socs" work fantastically at helping to keep the angled set on the rivet. Highly recommended. Also highly recommended anywhere you are shooting "high stress" rivets. (Read: rivets that you are stressed out about shooting! :eek: Such as the wing rib to main spar rivets.)

Again, good luck.

Just sent my order off to Avery and Cleaveland for both the single and double offsets and the soc's. The snap soc's look like a neat idea and I can use all the help I can get.

Speaking of high stress riveting, I guess you have seen me rivet.

Back