What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stub Spar Countersinking

yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
page 14-02, step 2-- machine countersink 120 deg. the stub spar channe flangesl-- 40+ places per each side. No matter how I tried I couldn't set up the drill press platform to do this; one flange is at a 45 deg angle and the other at 60 deg. Is there a better way of doing this than the recommended "eyeball" approach and then checking your result with a 1/4 inch hole?? I'm not getting very uniform countersink holes. Apparenlt they're there to accept the dimpled skin, so maybe all is OK if I don;t punch all the way through?? Anyone have a "sysytem" for doing this?

THANKS

Wayne Moyer
RV12 0241

Emp kit done, starting wings

I used the "eyeball" approach, and it worked well. If you use counter sink cage it will hold the angle straight.

I used the "eyeball" approach, and it worked well. If you use counter sink cage it will hold the angle straight.

Yup, countersink cage worked for me also, though I did cut a piece of 2x4 to correct height(s) to prop the flange surfaces up to level attitude. Call me crazy, I just like to have my work pieces "straight and level" with the world when I can.

I also tried using my drill press but the countersink cage is more accurate for depth.

Oh, and yes, the countersinks should not quite go through the material i.e. not to enlarge the holes.

I also used the countersink cage while the flange was resting at a 2x3.
The only problem I had was that when the countersunk becomes deeper the bit will enlarge the hole a bit. To avoid this I used a doubler with four holes. So I was able to countersink two holes at a time.
Happy when they were finished :D Good luck!

Back