What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Strobes

Ron B.

Well Known Member
I had planed on ordering the strobe kit from Whiskey Victor along with their LED nav lights. I e-mailed Bill with questions on the LED and shipping options and he would only answer the shipping questions. This prompted me to do a search on here and I don't like what I found pertaining the LED. One would think that his LED's would be removed from his online store with the radio interferrence they are causing. It looks like he credited some people that wanted to return them, this is good, but why still sell them if the have a problem? I'm certainly no expert on this , this is what I make of the post. I'm leaning away from his strobes and the wig-wag for fear of the unknown due to the LED issue. I liked the ability to mount his strobe in the RV-10 light cavity as it would look like it fit there. The only Whelen strobes I find are for outside the enclosure mounts as I have on my Super Cub.
What are most using for wing strobes on their 10's?
Thanks Ron

strobes

Ron,
I bought the Kuntzelmann strobes and nav lights. they are great quality and their customer service is good also. Price wasn't bad either. they have a set made up specifically for the RV-10. It's explained on the web site. I needed some more 5 strand wire for my hookup and wasn't able to get what I needed at the avionic shops. So I called Kuntzelmann's and the owner actually answered the phone. He was VERY accomodating. They haven't had any problems that I've been able to detect. Use the shielded wire they provide and run a dedicated ground wire to a ground bus NOT associated with the avionics. Don't run the shielded wire in a chase that also includes antenna coax. Do this and you will really eliminate a lot of the RFI you read about.
HTH, Dan
web site: http://www.kestrobes.com/

Last edited:
I am putting tha standard Whelen A650's on my wingtips, outside the the tip on the edge, and putting an led position light on the tail for added visibility. I like the idea of LED but have read of too many folks having radio problems using them. I plan on building this plane using the KISS principal building as close to plans a possible, unlike my previous build with modifications.

I've been searching for the type/ model of strobes to use in the wing tips. I purchased the Van's landing light kit several months ago and put it aside. Today I dig it out to start the installation, (waiting for epoxy on the doors to cure) and here is where Van's decided to inform a builder the type/model of strobes. One would think they could have included this information in the standard wing manual. I guess it's an added reason to purchase their landing lights, it's just who would know that this information is in there in the first place. I guess it will be Whelen again for us.
Thanks again Ron

Back