What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Strobes - exercising advice

SimonRV7

I'm New Here
Hello All,

I'm building an RV-7 down here in Sydney, Australia. I'm currently building the wings. I'm in the US next month for work and I always try and buy some bits and pieces while I'm over to save on shipping costs. This time 'round I was thinking of buying the Whelen Strobe/Position lighting package (System 6) from Van's.

The motivation being a) I will save money on shipping fees and b) the prices are only going to go up over time. I know there are other (some cheaper, some more expensive) options out there - but I'm comfortable with the Whelen choice.

I seem to recall reading something about there being an issue with just storing strobes - without actually using them - something about the capacitors needing to be exercised.

Does anyone know if it's OK to buy strobes and in effect just keep them on the shelf for the next few years without running into any problems?

Cheers,

Simon

Strobes

My understanding with these is that if they are stored without being flashed (cycled) , they will last for years in thier box.
If flashed, they will still last for years but you will want to fire them ever few months.
regards,

Strobe Life

Well, I've read the same things you have read about the capacitor dying a slow death on the shelf if it's not used. Since I was ignorant enough to buy my Whelen strobes when I started on the wings in 2003, I was worried that they may not work now. Fortunately, they fired right on up this spring when we tried them out in my shop (I'm a little further along in the build now). :rolleyes:

I know that I may have just gotten lucky, but mine still worked after six years on the shelf. If I were going to do it over again, I'd wait to buy the strobes. You're going to need to ship a lot of other stuff down the road, and it won't cost that much more for Van's or Aircraft Spruce (or whoever) to ship the Whelen package along with other items you'll invariably need. That's my 2 cents.

Simon,

My understanding from a recent conversation with Whelen is that the issue you speak of is no longer a concern with the new strobe power supplies. An e-mail to Whelen can answer all your questions. Try: Aviation Technical Service Group 860-526-9504 ext. 6 or e-mail: [email protected]

I just bought one of their new LED beacons; what a brilliant light! I strongly recommend considering one of those for basic anti-collision lighting.

Good Luck,

George

The term you are looking for is "reforming"...

...and it relates to the reforming of the chemical properties within a capacitor that has not had voltage applied for some specified time duration. You can read about this online from any number of sources.

The best read for the Whelen strobe (specifically the power supply) is in the Whelen technical literature / installation manual on the company's website. Older units need to be reformed, newer units manufactured after a specified date are "immune" from the "condition".

Strobes - exercising advice - thanks for the feedback

Thanks all for the rapid feedback - much appreciated.

Cheers,
Simon

Back