What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Strobe position

koda2

Well Known Member
I am installing the A-600 Whelen strobes on the old Hoerner style wingtips.

Is there a "correct" fore and aft location? I have the SK42,45 pictures but I thought that I remember seeing several years ago a diagram showing where they go in relationship to the wing spar. Like maybe, centered 4" aft of the spar?

Or is it just a SWAG?

Dave A.

me too!

I am installing the Aeroled Pulsars on my RV6A in a week or two.

I briefly glanced at the instructions in the wingtip extensions and it seemed like there was something about position in there, but I didn't look at it in detail. I won't have access to those documents again until wednessday. Assuming you are using these?

I don't remember position in the instructions but what I did was position them so they were about an inch below the join line and then moved them fore/aft until the mounting surface was parallel to the fuselage centerline. I used a laser level to establish the centerline and then drew parallel lines at the extreme tips. Aligning the level with those lines, it was pretty easy to use a ruler to check the surface. Once located with tape, it was drilled and clecoed before glassing it permanently.

Yes,
I am using the nav light extensions that Van's sells. It will take more time to glass them in but I think it will look better. It will also align the light fixture in the vertical plane, FWIW.

The main thing is to get the lights in a position that they will comply with the FARS and putting them anywhere in the middle part of the wingtip that is roughly parallel with the fuselage will probably make the lights visible at the proper angles.

I called Van's today and the tech said as long as they were ahead of the spar they would be okay. I am not sure about that one and will take another look with the tips on. I will see where the strobe is when positioned there.

I like Patrick's method and will probably figure out how to do it that way. My old Tomahawk had the same kind of system sticking out on the side of the tip. They were always getting hangar rash as I was in a community hangar at the time.

Dave A.

I called Van's today and the tech said as long as they were ahead of the spar they would be okay. I am not sure about that one and will take another look with the tips on. I will see where the strobe is when positioned there.

Mine are just aft of the spar with extensions. It's been quite a few years since I installed them, but I had a habit of researching most everything before I did it.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

I used the fiberglass Nav light extension...

...that Van's sells. The instruction that came with the fiberglass parts lists 3 dimensions:
A: 1 -15/16 inches
B: 1 -7/8 inches
C: 40 -1/2 inches

Dimension A is measured from the top surface of the wingtip...down to the center line of the fiberglass part's leading edge.

Dimension B is is measured from the top surface of the wingtip...down to the center line of the fiberglass part's trailing edge.

Dimension C is measured from the trailing edge of the fiberglass wingtip to the trailing edge of the fiberglass part.

The above gives a good starting point for these fiberglass extensions. These molded fiberglass parts fit fairly well to the contoured surface of the wingtips. I made sure that the vertical surface of these extensions just came to the outside dimension of the wingtip so that the projected light pattern from the NAV / Position / and Strobes followed the requirements of the FAR's.

instructions

noelf,
I did not receive instructions with my extensions. Thanks for the dimensions you listed. I assume they are for the 600 series and not the 650 (no trailing light) Either way they should be about same and I will try those for a fit.

Thanks for the help.

Dave A.

Correct, the instructions were for the 600 series...

...The fiberglass extensions are "factory" molded to conform to the specific compound curved shape of the underside of the fiberglass wing tip. The dimensions given provide a close starting point for the actual position that you will end up with. As you move the extension around and away from this "home" position, you may find a better (or worse) fit.

Done!

Just fitted mine. They need more fiberglass and sanding, but the initial fit went pretty well I think so hopefully not too much sanding tomorrow.

wingtips1.jpg

Thanks for the tips!

Also, found the instructions.

IMG_1260.jpg

extensions on

Thanks for all the tips and info.
The extensions are expoxied in place.
extensions.jpg

The photo makes it look like the extension is rotated slightly CCW but it is actually in pretty good alignment with the wing and fuselage.

For some reason the final aft measurement was 37", but at that position they fit well.
The instructions really helped.

Dave A.

Back