What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stripping shielded wire

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
I think this has been covered before but I couldn't find it in the archives...

Any suggestions for stripping the outside insulation on shielded wire without damaging the shielding?

Thanks.

Most useful technique over my years of experience is to use a single razor blade. Mark the jacket where you want it cut. Then use the razor to "score" the jacket both around and then one line length wise to the end. At the very end press hard enough to cut thru. You then peel the jacket piece to be removed off. The point is not to penetrate it with the razor, but to score it enough so that it breaks when you peel it. Done right leaves a perfect shield.

They make multi blade coax strippers but it can be easy to leave nicks with one. Plus they are more expensive.

Have fun.

Steve,

I bought a Stripmaster wire stripper at Lowe's that is designed for round (solid) wire. I use a couple sizes larger hole than the wire gauge (i.e., for 18 ga shielded wire I use the hole for 14 ga) to strip off the outer coating. You will likely have to do a couple test runs to get the correct size, but once you figure it out, it works very well.

greg

I fold the wire over in a bight, and very carefully cut the insulation with a razor blade or Xacto knife.

The tension in the insulation caused by bending makes the incision easy to see, and therefore, control.

Practice on scrap.

Most useful technique over my years of experience is to use a single razor blade. Mark the jacket where you want it cut. Then use the razor to "score" the jacket both around and then one line length wise to the end. At the very end press hard enough to cut thru. You then peel the jacket piece to be removed off. The point is not to penetrate it with the razor, but to score it enough so that it breaks when you peel it. Done right leaves a perfect shield.

They make multi blade coax strippers but it can be easy to leave nicks with one. Plus they are more expensive.

Have fun.
I used this method last night and it worked just as slick as advertised. All you need to do is score the insulation lightly. It will then peel right off. Definitely my new preferred method. Thanks again Wade.

Back