What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stripping 24 AWG wire

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
The multi-conductor shielded cable I bought from B&C and Aircraft Spruce appears to be #24 AWG. Is there a secret to stripping wire that small. None of the cheap-to-expensive tools I have goes that small, only to 20 (I have one that says #22, but I'm pretty sure that's a dang lie!).

And, of course, I don't want to just take a pen knife or something to strip the wire and risk damaging a strand.

The multi-conductor shielded cable I bought from B&C and Aircraft Spruce appears to be #24 AWG. Is there a secret to stripping wire that small. None of the cheap-to-expensive tools I have goes that small, only to 20 (I have one that says #22, but I'm pretty sure that's a dang lie!).

And, of course, I don't want to just take a pen knife or something to strip the wire and risk damaging a strand.

Bob,
Here's what you need:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHVR9&P=7

It's a wire cutter/stripper for R/C model airplane use (typically 22-26 gauge wires). $9.99 from Tower Hobbies. I've got one of these and there is nothing better for stripping small wires.

Best,

Do NOT use THIS

Bob do not use this junk it only damages strands and elongates/stresses the insulation.

DSC_0001.jpg

Bob,

The electrical system is good reason to buy an enterily new set of tools.

I have one of these and it works great!
tlstrcr-1064b.jpg

OK, I'm cheap, I admit it!

I already owned two of the very common and popular Ideal Strip Master brand "one handed" wire strippers. I wanted to have the high $$$ aviation ones, designed for stripping Tefzel and Teflon aviation wire. I discovered that the aviation blades will fit in the more common Ideal strippers.
I managed to buy both blade sizes [10AWG to 14AWG and 16AWG to 26AWG] on EBay for a very reasonable price. The aviation blades fit into my Ideal strippers quite easily. See

http://www.idealindustries.com/products/tools_totes/wire_strippers/stripmaster.jsp

I got aviation quality strippers for about 1/3rd the price. Just another way to skin that cat.

Charlie Kuss

Dont want to sound like a smart *ss, but why do you want to mess with anything smaller than 22awg? Always a pain in the butt. The only thing Im aware of that forces you into dealing with such small wires are the RAC stick switches. Bob Nuckolls has a good comic book on how to work around this

http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles.html#Wiring Techniques

Otherwise, I would forget the extra tools and just use cable with 22awg wire or larger

erich

I bought that stripper (Ideal) in the Home Depot a year ago but it only went down to 20.

But based on the referral above, I drove down to SteinAir and got an Ideal from Jed (along with the little "spoon" for getting wire into a bundle, and some snakeskin bundling.

And Jed was having a special yesterday. With every purchase you get a free piece of salt water taffy.

Don't use these....
1066239.jpg

I use these (requires some practice and experience but work well wi th care):
wire_stripper-300.jpg

Back