What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Strip lights flickering when transmitting

SamZ

I'm New Here
My strip panel lights on my RV-7 all of a sudden started flickering every time I push the PTT button. Anyone have any idea what might cause this. Thanks for your help.

sz

Thanks for the info...not sure what type of dimmer it is. I'll have to check. Either way, i'll pick up one of the dimmers you suggested and see if that fixes it. Seems to be the simplest solution. Thanks again.

sz

A bit of thread drift...

I have LED post lights in my RV-4. The post light base acts as the negative terminal, using the airframe as the ground.

All of the LED dimmers that I find require that both LED positive and negative wires go to the dimmer. I can't see how to do that with post lights.

Can someone point me to a dimmer that needs only the positive lead from the LED?

Thanks,

Do you have a dimmer? If so, it's probably picking up some RF when you transmit. Which dimmer do you have? If you have LEDs, the LED dimmers are more susceptible to picking up RF it appears.

I had a similar problem with my LED strip lighting and went with this dimmer and it solved the problem:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PWM-dimmer-...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item20bee26f20

Here is the exact dimmer that I have. Sold by Britta Products. I'm not sure if it's the same one that you posted, I can't get to ebay from my work computer.

Sam,

Here is the direct web site for the manufacturer:

http://www.kicklighting.com/PWM-dimmer-switch-for-LED.htm

The dimmer you have appears to be the same Pulse Code Modulation (PCM) circuitry as mine, just a different manufacturer. In any event mine is cheaper by half. I don't know, you may just have a bad one or going bad, so as long as you have to replace it, I would try this one.

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Sam, welcome aboard the good ship VAF.

So, tell us about your plane, and some photos???

Good to have you here.

Back