What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stratus in wing tip?

pa38112

Well Known Member
Has anyone tried mounting their Stratus in their wing tip? That seems like a great spot for receiving the signals, but don't know if it will conect to my iphone via wifi?

Powering it would require a REALLY long USB cable, or a 12/5v converter close to the Stratus in the wing. Super long USB is prone to loss of both signal and power and is not a good idea. I'd keep the stratus in the cabin where it can see the sky from a shaded position - it doesn't need to be fully exposed at all. Then run a remote 978 mhz antenna to where you can see the ground well.

The wifi isn't a problem. It works from other airplanes (in formation) :).

While it is completely possible to mount the Stratus ADS-B receiver in the wingtip, I think you will get better performance and have an easier installation if you install an external 978 Mhz transponder antenna attached to the Stratus unit. I did this in my RV-7 and it was AMAZING the increase in reception I would get. I was even picking up ADS-B on the ground while taxiing.

Back