What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Strange California Weather

Mark Henderson

Well Known Member
I just took my first flight of the new year. Clear, 61 degrees, and stable air. I almost wore my shorts to go flying. We have had virtually no rain so far this season. It is great for flying, not so good for the ski resorts or the for the water supply. Our winter weather actually has been better than last summer. I guess I will enjoy the draught while I can.

And Washington too...

The weather in Washington has been mild also. I worked in the hangar on January 1 with the south facing doors open and had to take off my jacket with sunlight streaming in. I had the 12s cowling off to trouble shoot a high fuel pressure warning from a flight the day before. It turned out to be a weak connection at the spade connectors on the sender. I remember Scott saying that the Dynon worked in a small resistance range on the sensor and a small change in resistance at a connection can produce out of limits readings. That is the case, for sure.
Anyway, after cowling back up I went for my first flight of the New Year to the foothills a few miles SE of S50:
P1020092Edit-L.jpg

The picture was taken at about 6000 feet. The foothills below are 4000 to 5000 feet and there is a light coating of snow from the last night which makes the logging roads stand out in the low sunlight. Mt Rainier has the typical lenticular cloud on its top indicating 'stay clear'.

The fuel pressure readings stayed steady in the green at 3.4 psi for the flight.

Tony

Record high here in Reno today - 69 degrees. Flying in the morning was ok, but got a bit windy this afternoon with 15G22. Enjoying it while we can!

cheers,
greg

We were in San Francisco with Christmas. No need for a jacket on the 27th, beautiful flying weather. The underside of the bridge is still o.k.:cool:
(At home stormy weather, but also still no winter (41˚F))

IMG_0806.JPG

IMG_3738.JPG

Been watching the weather in Lake Tahoe from Afghanistan... was upset to miss the ski season after epic snow last year. This year, doesn't appear I'm missing out on much.

Been watching the weather in Lake Tahoe from Afghanistan... was upset to miss the ski season after epic snow last year. This year, doesn't appear I'm missing out on much.

Nope. Pretty dry this year. Take care of yourself over there!

PS: they just released the results of a measurement today, 19% of normal. Last year at this time we were 190% of normal. Maybe Al was right - the earth is drying up in the heat!

Last edited:
I just took my first flight of the new year. Clear, 61 degrees, and stable air. I almost wore my shorts to go flying. We have had virtually no rain so far this season. It is great for flying, not so good for the ski resorts or the for the water supply. Our winter weather actually has been better than last summer. I guess I will enjoy the draught while I can.

To continue the strangeness, I'm spending the week in Marathon (Florida Keys) and it's supposed to be in the low 60s tomorrow. It's been in the low 80s, however, for the last few days. Much more to my liking.

Jerre

Same down here at the south end of the Sierras! Karen and I dusted off the 170 after a 3-week lull yesterday. Of the 1.3 logged, a full 1.0 was with my arms folded, suggesting headings with my toes and making minor pitch trim adjustments by leaning fore and aft in the seat to maintain +/-100ft. All this at 7500 feet among 8000ft+ peaks. As smooth as any summer evening in the flatlands. Definitely a flight to remember!:cool:

I'm afraid this is all my fault. I spent big bucks on a brand new V plow 2 months ago and frantically mounted it during our first snowstorm. Been bone dry ever since

Back