What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Storing finished parts in Attic?

osaleh

After i finish my airplane parts, i would like to store them in attic so that i can have more free space in garage. Is this a good idea? The attic gets very hot and then very cold in Houston. It is also humid in the summer.

Hot & cold is not so much of a problem. Humidity IS!
Best to keep aluminum parts in "controlled" environment.

After i finish my airplane parts, i would like to store them in attic so that i can have more free space in garage. Is this a good idea? The attic gets very hot and then very cold in Houston. It is also humid in the summer.

Very cold? In Houston? Ahem...

Seriously, if you primed the stuff internally, there should be no problem storing it in an attic. When you finish your project, the hangar at the airport will have lots of hot/cold damp/dry swings too.

Critters in Attic

If your attic is open to insects, or if your are near farm fields, watch out for damage from pests. I stored my empanage on foam rubber pads on the top of shelves in the basement, well out of reach of young hands of neices and nephews. Only problem was the local field mice liked the foam and deficated on the parts. I had to learn corrosion repair early on in the project.

Back