What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stock Accessories on Vans YIO-540

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
Does anyone know what kind of accessories are standard on the stock YIO-540 Vans sells?

Magento type (Bendix, Slick, etc...)?
Starter Type?
Alternator Type?

You only get two magnetos and a starter. Everything else is on you to keep breaking out the checkbook.

They don't mention the brands.

http://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/order_forms/lycoming_order_form.pdf

All engines are equipped with roller tappets, dual magnetos,
ignition harness, fuel pump, starter, vacuum pump drive, prop
governor drive, and carburetor/injector. Alternators, exhaust
systems, vacuum pumps, governors, etc. vary according to
aircraft type and are not supplied with new engines.

Does anyone know what kind of accessories are standard on the stock YIO-540 Vans sells?

Magento type (Bendix, Slick, etc...)?
Starter Type?
Alternator Type?

Slick mags
Sky Tec LS starter, which you really want to replace with a NL starter (read Sky-Tec's web site for more info
Plane Power 60a is in the FWF kit and not sold with the engine
Bendix Fuel Injection

Silverhawk injection included on YIO.
Now, tell me what's wrong with the stock starter? Seems to work perfectly.

Stock starter is great unless i get a kickback. No shear pin. 925 main 2 ga and airframe grd. Spins faster. Mt gov is great too...need to adj high spd stop incr 125 rpm.

Wayne, not trying to be sarcastic but could you translate this into English please?

I'll give it a whirl...
925 probably means an Odyssey 925 battery.
2 ga is probably the #2 gauge wire from the battery to the starter.
grd is probably airframe grounded.
Mt gov is NOT a mountain, probably an MT propeller governor.
The last statement probably means he needs to increase his propeller limit speed by 125 rpm.

In his defense, he was probably using one of those handheld thingies....(g)

John

Wayne, not trying to be sarcastic but could you translate this into English please?

With the SkyTec LS starters, if you experience a kickback, it will likely destroy (i.e crack) the starter case causing you to replace the starter out of warranty. Kickback isn't a warrany covered item.

With the NL series, there is a shear pin that will fail that you can quickly replace. They provide two spares with the starter.

There are some other minor advantages as well as some disadvantages, but this is the big one for most folks.

For a long time SkyTec had a blurb on their web site specifically recommending the all RV-10s use the NL series starter. I went to look for it yesterday, but couldn't find it. They also used to upgrade starters at no cost, but when I last talked with them they were talking about stopping the free upgrades.

Here's the SkyTec info about replacing the starter:

http://www.skytecair.com/Wiring_diag.htm (scroll to bottom of page)

While this diagram is indeed appropriate for LS model starters (which Van's used on their factory RV-10), it does NOT account for the differing function of the jumper wire on NL starters in this diagram. Sky-Tec recommends the use of the 149-NL starter on all RV-10 applications, not the 149-12LS Van's used on the factory's RV-10.

Speaking of which - does anyone use the internal contactor for the starter rather than a firewall based starter as it appears it can be easily done with this type of starter.

With my engine we received one normal Slick magneto and a Retard magneto on the left hand side. What no one tells you is that you actually need a Slick-Start (shower of sparks) to connect to the Retard magneto. It is expensive but makes hot starting the big monster a pleasure.

I would disagree.

No hot start problems here, and we do plenty of hot starts:)

No problem so far with the starter either.

530 tach time on her

YIO LS starter

I have the LS starter. Another issue may be the somewhat anemic cranking some people have reported. I'm one of them.

I have two Odyssey 680 batteries that can both be applied to starting. However, the desired process involves starting on one battery while the other runs 3 GRT EFIS screens and other equipment. The one battery start usually works though sometimes it takes 1 or 2 'bounces' before it will make the first full turn. As expected, in cooler conditions, the battery/starter combination can come up short as it did yesterday. In that case, I crossfeed the 2 batteries and start the engine... but I lose the EFIS screens which end up re-booting.

I've been told a number of things to check but came away convinced that I have good batteries and a robust electrical system. I'm told (and believe) that the permanent magnets used in the LS starter are the culprit. They apparently benefit from a bit more juice than the NL starters need. I'm told I'll get crisper, more energetic starts from the NL starter. I intend to make that change.

BTW, I have the slicks with a retard on one. I did add the shower of sparks unit and have easy cold and hot starts -if- it turns over at all.

Bill "70 wonderful hours" Watson

I have been starting with the 925. Let me check the 680 start speed tomorrow. Then we should be able to duplicate your starting issues on ours or help troubleshoot.

I just ordered my engine last month and requested the NL starter. I requested the NL starter. Vans called me back and informed me that Lycoming told them that all the new engines going forward were being shipped with the NL starter. Miracles never cease......
Bill

Interesting, I wonder when that started? I am picking up a factory engine that was purchased and delivered back in July. I wonder if it will have the newer starter or not?

I have the less expensive, light weight, higher rotation speed, no shear pin, prone to breaking and leaving me stranded for two days- starter.

All I can say is with airframe ground, two braided ground straps from engine to mount, no separate ground to starter, sanded engine mount contact surfaces and applied dielectric grease, #2 ga wire to start contactor then to starter, crimped and soldered all lugs, 925 main bat powering strobes/boost pump(approx 10 Amps) during start, oil temp= 60F, OAT= 40F...it spins FAST!

On initial test flight start up, I had two 10 sec starter engagements with no signs of slowing(sorry, still learning how it likes to be started). You will be fine either way if you have this setup which is per Van's plans.

Back