What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sticky Seat slides

Gwcuadra

I'm New Here
We are a two pilot family, just bought an RV-10, can't hardly move the seats. Cleaned out dried up lithium grease out of one and replaced with dry moly. Worked for about a day then got hard again. Loosening the base screws helps a little, but still rediculously hard. Any suggestions?

Bigger slide groove

I opened up the slide groove in the plastic insert with my table saw and it made for a nicely sliding seat

Gary Specketer

Look very closely at the seat pan extensions, aft of the seat pan. Loosen the seat rail screws in that area and see if the rail 'unbends', or if the seat moves easier (do not put weight on the seat for this test). If easier, then you need to shim this area to keep the tracks flat and straight.

While you're at it, if not already done, file down the leading edge of the delrin on the forward seat attach bracket, so you can remove the seat without removing the flap torque tube cover (do a search).

Seat update

I didn't find anything out of alignment.I ended up opening up the slides on a table saw like Gary recommended. I just took a really small amount off the underside of the material so as to not damage the primary sliding surface. I also shortened them slightly to make them easier to install. I wrote the manufacturer to get a recommendation on lubricant and they recommended no lubricant. Once the channel was opened up, the seats work great. I suspect that the previous grease caused the material to swell which made the tolerances too tight.

Thanks for all the help. Great outcome.
Gabe

I opened up the slide groove in the plastic insert with my table saw and it made for a nicely sliding seat

Gary Specketer

Hi Gary, do you have any pics of your repair? My pax seat will only slide forward half way, then binds.

thanks

-Marc

Back