What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sticky Fuel Tank Stuff

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
I ran out of Flamemaster "accelerator" with a half a can of the stinky quart left. Vans or Flamemaster will not sell the accelerator separately, so I have to order a whole quart and the hardener.
I did not think I was THAT far off with my measurements, has anyone else had such a problem?

has anyone else had such a problem?

Don I had similar problem, run out of hardener. If you are in the middle of the tanks order a stinky quart. Otherwise buy small kits, I bought one, then one more. No leaks so far it means mixing was proper.

Don No leaks so far it means mixing was proper.

The above is not necessary true, but mixing the stuff "hot" is usually not a problem. It will cause the useful work time to decrease but as long as you are not still riveting it when it starts to set you should be ok.

When mixed at the correct 10 to 1 ratio by weight, the sealant should be a light gray color. If it is very dark, then too much hardener was used.
Joe Gores

I had no trouble buying extra accelerator(black stuff) from Van's. Have you tried phoning them? Many things are possible that are not on the web store.

Interesting, here is what they said in an email:
We do not have the accelerator available by itself. The manufacturer does not sell accelerator by
itself.

Pam
Van's Order Dept.

I went to the manufacturer and they too said they don't sell just the accelerator separately.

All I have left to do is glue on the top of the tank and seal the firewall a bit. Sure don't need a quart, but one of the caulking gun tubes (I have one of those) is probably not enough to do the tank top, not sure.

I started mixing the stuff up long ago by color, rather than weight. Just for kicks I mixed it up with a very small amount of the black stuff to where it was just a bit darker than the creamy color and it set up fine, just took longer.

Interesting Bob. I just received my resupply of a new quart with hardener, I think I might try to skimp a bit on the hardener to make it last a bit longer, or I will have another half quart of stinky stuff left over.

Back