What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sticking brake caliper on one side

Lkitson

Well Known Member
Looking for ideas on what might be causing the right-side Grove brake caliper to stick on my RV-8.

When pre-flighting this morning I found a puddle of brake fluid under the right wheel. I pulled the wheel pant off and there was fluid all over the inside of it as well as on the caliper and the brake pads. I jacked the wheel off the ground and couldn’t get it to turn. The caliper was locked. When I pulled the caliper off I found that that the pads were worn down to the rivets. I removed the piston and couldn’t see anything visibly wrong with it, the, o-ring or the caliper bore. I replaced the o-ring and installed a new set of pads and put everything back together. The left wheel spun freely and there where no leaks. The pads still had 1/16” above the rivets but they got replaced anyway since I had done the right side.

This is the second time this has happened (also the right side). The first time was almost two years ago shortly after I finished phase 1 flight testing. I chalked that one up to the fact that I had been doing lots of landings and tended to try to make the first turnoff at my home airport which took some aggressive braking. I thought that I had gotten the brakes too hot causing the o-ring on the right side to fail. I’ve been much less aggressive with the braking since then and have put another 173 hours and over 300 landings on the airplane. At my last condition inspection in January the pads on both sides still had plenty of material left.

On my last few flights it did seem like it took more power to taxi.

Thoughts?

Not familiar with Grove but: check that the pistons are not upside down. If they are the O ring will exit the cylinder before or at full wear on the pad, leaking fluid, cocking and jamming the piston - like the symptoms you describe.
I think it’s best to actually measure the pad thickness at condition inspection. ‘A lot’ of pad thickness left is not a lot if you’ve gone thru 50% in the last year.

The brake master cylinder on that side may be holding pressure to the caliper. Check that out.

I had a similar thing with Grove brakes and Grove master cylinders on my RV-8. One side was dragging. Replaced the caliper and it was fine for a while, but then reoccurred shortly thereafter. Then did some more (deeper) troubleshooting and found it was the master cylinder. Replaced that and no problems since (actually replaced both master cylinders with Matco’s - P/N: MCMC-4F(S) - MASTER CYLINDER, Center Slotted .62).

Note that in my RV-8 with the change to the Matco master cylinders, the foot angle to activate the brakes changed. The foot has to rock forward a little more. But it was easy to get used to, and helps one keep their feet off the brakes.

Last edited:
Looking for ideas on what might be causing the right-side Grove brake caliper to stick on my RV-8.

When pre-flighting this morning I found a puddle of brake fluid under the right wheel. I pulled the wheel pant off and there was fluid all over the inside of it as well as on the caliper and the brake pads. I jacked the wheel off the ground and couldn’t get it to turn. The caliper was locked. When I pulled the caliper off I found that that the pads were worn down to the rivets. I removed the piston and couldn’t see anything visibly wrong with it, the, o-ring or the caliper bore. I replaced the o-ring and installed a new set of pads and put everything back together. The left wheel spun freely and there where no leaks. The pads still had 1/16” above the rivets but they got replaced anyway since I had done the right side.

This is the second time this has happened (also the right side). The first time was almost two years ago shortly after I finished phase 1 flight testing. I chalked that one up to the fact that I had been doing lots of landings and tended to try to make the first turnoff at my home airport which took some aggressive braking. I thought that I had gotten the brakes too hot causing the o-ring on the right side to fail. I’ve been much less aggressive with the braking since then and have put another 173 hours and over 300 landings on the airplane. At my last condition inspection in January the pads on both sides still had plenty of material left.

On my last few flights it did seem like it took more power to taxi.

Thoughts?
I have Grove brakes and had very early on found the brakes to stick on the right. Effectively, in my case, there were 2 issues. And keep in mind my point of reference is through my RV-9A.

First, I did find the alignment pins for the brake pads can bind somewhat. They should be cleaned occasionally on then lubricated. I’m using ACF-50 rather than grease and that seems to do a nice job.
That doesn fix everthing. In the case of the RV-9A the way the brakes get depressed allows the master cylinder to be slightly misaligned so the return force of the of the internal spring of the matco master cylinders isn’t enough to fully push it back up. Even a tiny amount (in my case I think between 1/8-1/4”) was causing the right brake to bind. Many have added an external boost spring. I did that several months ago and this has improved things dramatically.

hopefully one or both of these suggestins are helpful.

Back